TheFalseHOOHA

SS7 and SigTran

3 posts in this topic

I'd like to learn about SS7 and SigTran, but the protocol documents like most protocol documents, are not written as introductory texts.  And I prefer to learn hands-on.  I realize that I'm unlikely to find some kind of open-access SS7 portal connected to the honest-to-god PSTN, but I'm wondering if there are simulators available, or if anyone has any ideas about alternatives.

Thanks....

Asterisk has the ability to use SS7, so with a pair of computers, each running asterisk and containing a T1 card, you could have an SS7 connection in your own home. I've never done it myself, but google is your friend.

This looks like a good website to start with: https://www.voip-info.org/asterisk-ss7/

Edited by xhausted110

Thanks, that looks like an excellent starting point for further research.  My earlier research had turned up a lot of mentions of SIP-T and ISUP, and it wasn't clear to me if those correspond to all of SS7, or just certain aspects, like call set-up.

None of these pages seems to mention SigTran, which is a mapping of SS7 to TCP/IP.  I wonder why that is....