Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ThoughtPhreaker

New OSPS findings

4 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

There's always been little slip-ups in the way AT&T restricts 800 numbers from 101-0288-0, for anyone old enough to remember that. But more recently, they've been doing some sort of weird call distributing technique; for example, if you're in one of these affected areas, they'll distribute calls to different OSPS switches throughout the country. Something about the trunk group you come in on instructs the network to allow 800 calls out from OSPS again from these areas.

If you're around any of these areas, I've confirmed with some friends that it'll work:

Washington, DC

San Francisco, California

Ontario, California

Fresno, California

Muskegon, Michigan

Oberlin, Ohio
Cincinatti, Ohio

Lincoln, Nebraska

Orlando, Florida

Tampa, Florida

Manchester, New Hampshire

Denver, Colorado

Dickinson, Texas

Des Moines, Iowa

Springfield, Massacheusetts

Chicago, Illinois

Rolla, Missouri

Kansas City, Missouri

Fargo, North Dakota

As always, toll-free calls through the Honolulu and San Juan OSPSes will go through like they always have. There's also a few interesting scenarios, like tiny LECs with direct trunks to OSPS, where toll-free traffic has always gone through.

Edited by ThoughtPhreaker

Posted (edited)

I've had a few people report that in some areas where this doesn't work yet you home off of a 5ESS toll tandem (and can dial 101-0288# and get a dialtone from it), sometimes dialing 101-0288# and then 0 at the dialtone will work. I'm beginning to think this has less to do with the office you're coming out of, and more to do with something in the SS7 initial address message.

EDIT: I'll try to confirm, but this exception may not apply to payphones.

Edited by ThoughtPhreaker

No dice in Pittsburgh.

The ability to use OSPS seems to be on a switch-by-switch basis. I'm not quite sure what the pattern is, but if you want to scope this out, I encourage you to check every office you can locally.