Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MountainHell

Radio - noise before DJ answers

4 posts in this topic

When I used to call radio stations there was a small burst of static before the DJ answered. Why is/was that the case?

The static is the telephone hybrid (the device that connects the studio equipment to the telephone line) performing echo cancellation.  I don't really have any information about what exactly is going on, but it's probably sending out noise and measuring what is reflected back, and making the necessary adjustments to deliver echo-free audio to the studio.

In an analog domain, that is deemed to be necessary.  With VOIP, it isn't.  So, if you hear the static, you know they aren't using VOIP.

For whatever it's worth, when I worked in broadcasting, most radio stations I saw used Telos NX12 or Vx hybrids. I would try to familiarize yourself with those (sometimes they have promotional videos with a DJ inside the booth - that'd be a good place to look for either) and see if you can match the sounds up with them.

For whatever it's worth, in addition to the echo cancellation as Jman mentioned, there's also an option for other processing on most modern hybrids, like multi-band compression and automatic gain control.

Apparently WBAI had that in the early 2000s. Eric demonstrated it in this Off the Hook program about 11 minutes in: ftp://ftp.2600.org/pub/oth/2001/off_the_hook__20011211-128.mp3