trmg

OpenBSD 6.3 Guest Under libvirt - Slow Network Performance

3 posts in this topic

Anyone here have experience with OpenBSD 6.3 as a guest under libvirt?

I've spun up a couple instances on my CentOS 7 KVM/libvirt host and I cannot seem to get more than roughly 100Mbps network performance from them.  Using the virtio NIC I can sustain transfer rates of roughly 12 MB/sec.  I tried switching to the e1000 NIC and performance was worse ( ~8 MB/sec sustained transfer rates with it) even though the virtual NIC indicated it had a 1000baseT full-duplex link.  I did not try the rtl8139.

Any ideas?

Huh, interesting. I run a similar setup on most of my hypervisors (Slackware though, not CentOS). I'm getting better than 12 MB/sec sustained on a big DB dump, but not gigabit speed. Are you also using a standard Linux layer 2 bridge for what the virtio device is connected to?

I have br0 set up that is used as the network interface for all of my VMs as well as management for the host itself.  All of the other VMs I run (mix of CentOS and Debian) can sustain ~50 MB/sec transfer rates over the network, so it's weird.  Only one network interface is currently assigned to the bridge interface.