trmg

My OpenBSD Firewall

3 posts in this topic

I've been debating on which direction to go with regards to my perimeter firewall on my home network.  In talking to systems_glitch in IRC he suggested that I give OpenBSD a go (he probably regrets this as I've been bugging this crap out of him about it).  I was a little gun shy about it at first since it would be my first experience with pf, and even OpenBSD itself, but the *NIX nerd in me decided to dive in head first.  Although it's only been a couple of days, I am very happy with the setup!

I used an old Dell OptiPlex 755 inherited from the ewaste pile at $dayjob.  It's got an Intel Core2 Duo E650 2.33 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, a 128 GB SSD, gigabit NIC onboard.  I happened to have an Intel PRO/1000 quad PCIe NIC in my stash which other than needing a half-height bracket (ordered and en-route from good ol' China) works beautifully.  Until the bracket arrives I'll just run it with the cover off.  The machine could use a nice does of compressed air, too.

Performance wise I am very impressed.  I was leary of a box like this being able to handle gigabit throughput between firewall zones, but this box handles it like a champ.  CPU usage when doing scp between two hosts on separate zones is maybe 30% peak.  I have enabled some additional logging since this testing so I suspect CPU usage will be higher...I plan to test this soon.

Right now I'm using the onboard NIC as the "WAN" interface and a single interface on the PRO/1000 card for an inside zone.  Eventually I'm going to put all 4 of the PRO/1000 interfaces in a LACP bond and set up multiple zones using VLANs, but that is dependent on another network project of mine that is still in progress.

Before this I was using a Ubiquiti EdgeRouter PoE.  I can tell you hands down I prefer pf & OpenBSD wayyyy more over EdgeOS/VyOS.

If anyone has any tips/tricks on configuring pf security/performance wise, I am all eyes.  My config for reference (it's fairly basic right now): https://ghostbin.com/paste/sjfav

And, the obligatory pics!

Id85yElh.jpg

sDrdyBjh.jpg

Excellent to have another "convert" :P

Interestingly, trmg found the likely solution to a problem I've been having for years: whenever I dial certain numbers from one of my Asterisk servers to the old NPA-NXX for Albany, NY cell phones, audio will drop at exactly 15m30s every time. If I say off-hook long enough, Asterisk will eventually terminate the call. This is only when I originate, and only to that NPA-NXX. I'd assumed it was an issue with my SIP provider, and since it affects one person I call every now and then I hadn't looked into it any further. But, trmg was running into the same issue! I'll let him confirm but I believe it was this line of his pf.conf that got it straightened out:

match out on egress inet proto udp from $pbx to any nat-to (egress:0) static-port

Where $pbx is an alias for the internal IPv4 address of his PBX.

On 5/13/2018 at 2:20 PM, systems_glitch said:

Excellent to have another "convert" :P

Interestingly, trmg found the likely solution to a problem I've been having for years: whenever I dial certain numbers from one of my Asterisk servers to the old NPA-NXX for Albany, NY cell phones, audio will drop at exactly 15m30s every time. If I say off-hook long enough, Asterisk will eventually terminate the call. This is only when I originate, and only to that NPA-NXX. I'd assumed it was an issue with my SIP provider, and since it affects one person I call every now and then I hadn't looked into it any further. But, trmg was running into the same issue! I'll let him confirm but I believe it was this line of his pf.conf that got it straightened out:

match out on egress inet proto udp from $pbx to any nat-to (egress:0) static-port

Where $pbx is an alias for the internal IPv4 address of his PBX.

So far so good!  I have yet to have media suddenly disappear on me in the middle of a call.