Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ThoughtPhreaker

Small tricks thread

2 posts in this topic

:I thought it'd be a good idea to keep a thread open for small, marginally interesting tricks that can be applied in the network. Especially since they can sometimes turn into larger things when they're explored. So, well, I'll start:

In lots of ex-SBC areas, you can dial your home NPA + 700-4141 and get a recording from one of the local tandems (as in, a non-toll switch that handles calls between you and an exchange down the road or to a toll carrier) thanking you for choosing SBC as your intra-LATA toll carrier. Sometimes the switch blocks it or redirects it to your toll carrier, so you might have to use 101-0110 or 101-9017 to circumvent this.

Also, HPNA-958/959-xxxx will try to complete from the operator IVR on these same switches, but seems to get a cause code or something back quite quickly. I dunno what this is supposed to reach or if some areas treat it differently than others, but usually you get a recording from the TOPS tandem when you hit something invalid.

Sure enough, 101-9017-1-405-959-0000 from a switch in Oklahoma City gets you some sort of weird test number from the tandem switch. Other stuff probably isn't far behind.