Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
scratchytcarrier

"Reelradio" about to kick the bucket

4 posts in this topic

(Intentionally posted to "General Hacking" so the searchbots will find it.)

reelra10.jpg

Uh...yeah. It can't POSSIBLY be because he's stubbornly clinging to an obsolete, proprietary and frankly, unbelievably shitty codec that practically nobody supports any more. Oh no. It's gotta be all these "pirates".

Gee and he wonders why he's losing money and subscribers. :rolleyes:

You have to wonder about some people sometimes. It takes a real man to admit they've fucked up.

It's easier to pin failure on a convenient scapegoat, so much the better if it's a faceless group like "pirates."

There's a guy who was selling a closed-source version of some open source community developed hardware who's got a thing against me, as I revived the original open source project and started selling hardware kits again. His business failure is definitely because of me, or so he claims :) Not, you know, selling a low-quality copy at a higher price and then closing the source on the people who *created* the original!

This guy, er, doesn't seem very receptive to new things. That being said, in all fairness, how contemporary an audio codec is is extremely relative. AAC is certainly one of the more used ones out there, and it was introduced a year before the Cook codec this guy is using. It still doesn't change the relatively low sample rate or that it buffers like it's 1998 (niche product or not, who pays for an effectively broken stream exactly?) or, well, that Real Player is still Real Player.

That whole "I have a black box and nobody is allowed to touch it" model reminds me a lot of the other crap that faded into obscurity, like QSound, Q-Zar and HD Radio. I always thought the huge resistance to anybody seeing how it worked was hilarious.

Richard bitches about how there just isn't time or money to convert to a more modern codec, o woe is he. It's laughably simple and free to download FFMPEG and LAME, write simple batch scripts to dump the cook audio to PCM then encode to (hopefully reasonable bitrate) MP3 then slap them up onto the web site. Shit, there are GRAPHIC mousebound tools that exist to automate the process, no batch coding required. Just load it all up, hit "start" and walk away. I mean, really. The guy's a computer programmer himself, supposedly, so you'd think he'd at least have some rudimentary concept of this.

Maybe with some luck he'll find somebody who can halfway competently run the site, modernize it (meaning MP3, AC3 or MP4) and open it up for gratis. It would really be a shame to lose all the content there.

And that's why he hasn't gotten a penny out of me over the past 15 years.

"HD" radio (a.k.a. DTS radio) isn't a total flop. It does have its uses FWIW. In its present form it's really more like "digital SCA" and you know what a niche market SCA is. As a supplement to existing broadcasts it kind of works. As a full hardon replacement for conventional FM broadcasts (which they were originally marketing it as) it's a solution looking for a problem. Had the tech appeared about 10 years earlier than it did it might have stood a better chance in the market. Since broadcast radio in the 21st century (meaning: post-1996) is practically dead as a medium, digital broadcasting here is a case of too little, too late.