Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Denguefevre

Selective Call Forwarding revealing CAC

3 posts in this topic

Using selective call forwarding on an AT&T POTS line I stumbled across a CAC I have little understanding of or of it's purpose.  Thought Phreaker was able to reproduce this revealing the same CAC using this method.

Using the selective call forwarding service feature (*63) when selecting the destination number calls are to be forwarded to, entering 00 plus any digit(s) and '#'  Will cause the the system to read back a the CAC "10190170+xx" following the CAC are the digits you entered with leading '0'truncated.

For example You were to enter "004" as the number you want your calls forwarded to.  You'd hear it read back "The number you entered 1019017004 is not permitted."  Removing the extra two digits in this example and and using 1019010 as a CAC you are able to dial local non toll numbers you normally could not dial using a CAC including X11 number "0" operator and normal 7 digit numbers.  Entering '#' after the CAC gives you a dial-tone you can dial off of.

What purpose it serves I have no clue.  Thought Phreaker is at somewhat of a loss but hopefully he'll chime in with his thoughts.   It's likely specific to AT&T but we've had no other way to try this anyplace other than our AT&T POTS lines.  Would love to hear from anyone with a different carrier and what if anything they were able to get back by trying this out. 

Posted (edited)

Thanks for dropping by and talking about this :) . I don't know why the DMS-100 will only read back a translated destination like this in only this one context; things like 611 (which translates to a toll-free if I understand right) are still just 611 no matter what you put in front of or behind it. Ramsaso was able to get it to work for local calls from his 5ESS, but -0 went to a local operator instead of resetting back to dialtone. For whatever it's worth, my switch will allow you to dial toll numbers from 9017, but only if they're something that doesn't hit a toll tandem. 0+ to these numbers is also available.

A friend (without selective call forwarding, sadly) who works at a place with some Windstream/ex-Florida Digital Network DMS-500 POTS lines says the CAC will work a little more normally from there; -0 will get you the 0 op, so it doesn't appear to be just an AT&T thing. My theory is this is a workaround CAC, like 101-0110; this is used by some switches - most frequently EWSDs as a feature group D workaround to send local calls out. Some places, for example ex-Bell System DMS-100s, never seem to have this, though. Presumably because they have this CAC. ex-SBC 5ESSes specifically seem to have both.

One other thing; my DMS-100, when you try entering 101-9017-0 as a destination at the selective call forwarding prompt, will freak out, exit that routine, and reset back to dialtone. I thought it was pretty funny when we found this on the bridge. Enough so that I got all excited and accidentally reached one of my speed dial numbers via talkoff. Whoops :lol:.

EDIT: I almost forgot; as a reminder, the lab 5ESS from that other thread a while back has selective call forwarding. Not the DMS-100 I'm very disappointed to say, though.

http://www.binrev.com/forums/index.php?/topic/48551-us-west-lab-switches/

Edited by ThoughtPhreaker

I'm not sure if anyone has checked yet, but I went to the NANPA website and 9017 is unassigned.  At least 0110 is reserved for "Tandem Access for Database Query".

From my Verizon EWSD line, I can't get anything to complete through 101-9017.  I'll try on my work Verizon DMS-100 Centrex line on Monday.