Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kulverstukas

Dead drops and who uses them

13 posts in this topic

I'm talking about those storage media embedded into an object (most commonly a wall) - https://deaddrops.com/

Some art-related dude came up with an idea to place flash drives into walls and register them as deaddrops. People then could come up to it and connect their devices and do some shit.

Honestly this is a fun idea, but I don't see how could this catch on. It only exists in a very small circle of people...

I have found that there is one deaddrop registered in 2011 in my city, so I might go and try to find it, see if it still works :P

As a trial, I thought to step it up a bit and hide a hard drive somewhere by placing it in a sealed container... because I have a few 2.5" drives (with few bad sectors, but I won't put good drives into a wall) laying around, so why the hell not :D

Also PirateBoxes (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PirateBox) seem to be the same thing, just with wifi. I also have a few old Android devices laying around, might try to convert one :D

I have actually seen a dead drop embedded in a wall in Cambridge, MA, near the MIT campus (shocking, right?). I did not dare plug my own piece of equipment in there :)

I've heard of people building "wifi throwies," like the LED graffiti thing (LED + battery + magnet, they stick to ferrous surfaces and...well, stay lit up for a while). The idea was to take something like an ESP8266 and a lithium cell, attach a sufficiently strong magnet, and stick it somewhere public. Being an embedded wifi module, they were probably only serving text or static HTML.

Ok I went out and checked on that dead drop I mentioned in my city and it's dead. No surprise when it didn't work :P I didn't have a lot of hopes, because it was registered in 2011. Though there were at that location a just married couple and the dude was giving me an awkward look when I was plugging my device into a wall haha.

Anyway, now I have a sudden urge to drop around a few of these myself. Maybe a few flash drives at first while I prepare a sealed hard drive dead drop :D

I can see how this could be dangerous, now with things like a USB killer, but that'd be one hell of a devilish deed. So just to be safe, I suppose you could have some old smartphone with an OTG cable and plug into that first, see if it produces smoke or not :D

Yeah, there are USB isolators you can get from industrial suppliers that will protect your machine, too (used to prevent a catastrophic failure on a machine tool from blowing up the control system). I would probably just grab the cheapest throwaway laptop in the parts heap/thrift store/whatever and use it, if I were going to check these out.

Another thing to look at is local geocaches. I've found a few on hikes that had USB drives in them.

14 hours ago, Kulverstukas said:

I'm talking about those storage media embedded into an object (most commonly a wall) - https://deaddrops.com/

Some art-related dude came up with an idea to place flash drives into walls and register them as deaddrops. People then could come up to it and connect their devices and do some shit.

Honestly this is a fun idea, but I don't see how could this catch on. It only exists in a very small circle of people...

I have found that there is one deaddrop registered in 2011 in my city, so I might go and try to find it, see if it still works :P

As a trial, I thought to step it up a bit and hide a hard drive somewhere by placing it in a sealed container... because I have a few 2.5" drives (with few bad sectors, but I won't put good drives into a wall) laying around, so why the hell not :D

Also PirateBoxes (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PirateBox) seem to be the same thing, just with wifi. I also have a few old Android devices laying around, might try to convert one :D

Seriously, sounds like a fun. But would need some kind of USB Condom. This is why Admins need to be a hardass with USB drives and personal computing devices plugged into a corporate LAN. :-P

9 hours ago, tekio said:

some kind of USB Condom

I just googled that and guess what: https://int3.cc/products/usbcondoms haha

It doesn't say in the description that it prevents your phone from frying, but logically that's the first device to fry...

The industrial ones are usually opto-isolated and should stop something like a USB Killer. That's what the datasheets say anyway, I've never purposefully tried to destroy one :)

Several years ago there were a couple I found in the Vancouver area. By the time I got to them the plugs were smashed and unusable so I wasn't able to do anything with them, because people have to destroy stuff. They're still there.

Opencaches: I'm proud to admit I'm in that show-no-mercy subculture of cachers that "plays for keeps". :evil:

On 2017-07-02 at 9:29 PM, scratchytcarrier said:

Opencaches: I'm proud to admit I'm in that show-no-mercy subculture of cachers that "plays for keeps". :evil:

What do you mean? and is Opencache an alternative to Geocache for North Muricans?

Posted (edited)

On 7/2/2017 at 3:08 AM, Kulverstukas said:

I just googled that and guess what: https://int3.cc/products/usbcondoms haha

It doesn't say in the description that it prevents your phone from frying, but logically that's the first device to fry...

Haha! Hardware and software condoms! If I am not mistaken, there is a pretty serious security issue with the way USB works. The firmware pretty much needs to be signed or read-only and signed.

Not that I could exploit it. But underestimating cyber-criminals is how Admins get burnt, usually. :-(

EDIT: apologies to BinRev for misuse of the term "hacker" on here.

Edited by tekio

What do you mean? and is Opencache an alternative to Geocache for North Americans?

http://wiki.opencaching.us/index.php/Main_Page

tl,dr: {propaganda alert} Opencaching is the ultimate free and open international geocache site that will not only change the way you think about and approach caching, but will be the replacement for commercial and closed geocaching.com for nearly all uses, because fuck Groundspeak. Like geocaching, opencaching maintains a database of geocaches. Unlike geocaching, opencaching does not have so-called "premium" caches (meaning: unfairly restricted to all but a specific audience of "paying customers", which runs 100% contrary to the philosophy and intentions of the hobby) thus all may participate.

If anybody reading this has a so-called "premium" (read: overpriced) account on groundsneak I STRONGLY advise that you look up all the so-called "premium" (read: closed) caches for your area and repost them to opencaching so all may find them, as was the intention before the bourgeoisie elite at groundsmack got hold of Garmin's original free site and turned it into the commercial payware racket we have to put up with today. This keeps the hobby fair and free (lunch and freedom) and will ultimately render GroundSLAPP unable to profit from a traditionally not-for-profit sport, rendering them completely useless (which they pretty much are already).

Oh yeah and unlike Groundsnake, Opencache also has a parameter for dead drops.

14 hours ago, scratchytcarrier said:

ultimate free and open international geocache site

Sounds nice, but it appears to be US only. So not very international...

Countries with OpenCaching websites include the United States/Canada/Mexico, Germany/Austria/Switzerland/Italy/Spain, Poland, Czech Republic, Norway/Sweden, The Netherlands and The United Kingdom. There are competing sites that list other geocaches as well, but there are often fees and/or usage restrictions associated with those sites. As the hobby continues to grow, it is likely that OpenCaching sites will be available in more countries.

Also try https://wiki.opencaching.eu/index.php/Main_Page