JCSwishMan33

The Mechanical Era Is Over

4 posts in this topic

I believe we've come to the end.

Sounds like Odessa finally cut over. And with the shuttering of the last 1AESS in the North American PSTN, there are (to the best of our knowledge and scanning) no remaining mechanical nor electromechanical switches left in the NANP.

I have to be honest - this was sort of a frustrating experience for me. There were big plans for that switch, and I'd set up almost everything to get some rather detailed recordings and a massive wardial underway; I understand people are busy, but I couldn't do it alone, so I tried to make it as much of a "hit start when ready" situation as possible. So I asked a few people about it. They seemed down with the idea, but they'd be busy for a few days.

A week went by.

They seemed a bit swamped with personal matters, so while I waited for them, I asked a few other people if they'd like to get things going. Things seemed like they were on the right track, but then we hit a snag, so we'd have to call it another night.

Another week passed. At the tail end of it, sure enough, boom - no more 1AESS. I spoke to someone else with an affinity for 1As about four months before; we knew this was going to be it, so I gave them an easy means to make some rather unique recordings of the switch. A few messages later, it became apparent they didn't record anything.

And so what can I say? Maybe there's something I'm missing here. Maybe I'm just pushing the more boring side of stuff, and most people are just too polite to say no. But the bottom line is I'd really, really like it if people just showed some more initiative. By all means, if you need some help, that's part of why this forum is here. But as someone who's had to juggle full time schooling, part time work, and three hours on the bus every weekday for a year and still found time to carve out, just please don't tell yourself you're too busy.

I wish I had obtained recordings as well. I didn't know which was going to be the last one. I thought it could have been one of the Savannah, GA switches.

I sort of lost interest in all of this when a good friend of mine passed away back in 2014 (TP knows who I'm talking about) who absolutely tracked every last 1AESS until he died. I mean tracked everything about them. You may still find his old posts on the Internet.

Then in the summer of 2016 I asked a contact that he knew about the status of the 1As. He told me only a handful were left. So I started to keep track again. But as time went on, I sort of got bored again. I shouldn't have dropped my guard.

But as others have said, an era is over. No more steps, crossbars or "electronically controlled analog switches" anymore.