Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ThoughtPhreaker

US West NPA-959 stuff

4 posts in this topic

So I've been doing a lot of traveling recently, and found something a bit interesting. From most US West 5ESSes, if you're in, say, the 206 area code and you dial 206-959-anything, your switch will give you a vacant number recording. Just 959-xxxx normally sends you to CBCAD. This didn't really raise my eyebrows too much (I haven't found anything yet. I'm looking though, and encourage everybody else to) until i tried the same thing from a DMS-100 in Denver. From there, it spits you out onto a recording from the tandem switch (DNVRCOMA03T - the trailer code even says 03T). My guess is the rest probably just fire back a cause code saying the number is vacant, but it still gives a good idea of what might be lurking in that prefix.

I do believe that most US West switches in the Colorado area (previous Mountain Bell switches then?) will drop you straight to the tandem on 959 numbers. IIRC, this has the interesting property that you can listen to test numbers from the tandem, eg. 959-1020.

Hmm, what tandem do you home on? I tried 303-959-1020 from the Denver DMS, and I just got the not in service recording.

Denver... last time I tried was a few years ago (and I no longer have a line w/ CenturyLink to actually test on). Try 1-970-959-1020, I'm pretty sure that's what I dialed to get a 102 test.