Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ThoughtPhreaker

TOPS/ACTS recording

2 posts in this topic

This might be the last time I get to hear a US West TOPS switch hassling me for money, so I thought I might record it. I didn't have a pickup coil with me at the time - still don't actually, I should probably find my way to one. But anyway, sorry about the automatic gain control. Next time I do this, I'm going to use something a little cleaner. All I had at the time was my Dialogic box, though.

In case you were wondering, this switch is indeed the sort of thing you can redbox, but it typically doesn't ask you for money retroactively. It's doing this (it actually never cut me off if you're wondering; I sat there for like twenty minutes. The tops_2.wav stuff is the last thing it said) because Qwest doesn't use TOPS for operator services anymore. It's not programmed to automatically cut you off and there's no person it can call to intervene, so, well, it just lets the call go on forever. And probably raised an alarm on the console. I've never heard it myself, but the TOPS manual says it can actually get pretty aggressive; it'll call you back to try and get you to pay if you let it. I was really disappointed when it didn't. If you listen to the way it says "past", you can hear this subtle looping sound on the end of the T syllable. This is a characteristic thing the Nortel EDRAM card does - the closest we'll get to proof here that the tandem is a DMS.

Funny enough, we actually do have the original files the switch is playing back; it's some form of 32k ADPCM. It's all in some sort of strange container format that nobody could ever figure out, though. If you'd like to try your luck with it though, this is the archive with all the stock EDRAM stuff. eacts0ae.bin44 has all the ACTS stuff in it: http://www71.zippyshare.com/v/1XzPMAeZ/file.html . I'll post a manual for the card at some point. The .bin44 extension implies that it's binary as per usual, but the 44 after indicates the logical record length of the file is, well, 44 bytes.

tops_1.wav

tops_2.wav

ThoughtPhreaker, is there any chance I could get those TOPS ACTS and other audio files? I'd like a shot at recovering the audio.

The link here is liong dead.

Thanks,

Don