CCCMiller

Number Scanner Software

5 posts in this topic

Hi, all.

This is my first time posting a topic and I'm excited to see what I learn. I'm very new to phreaking but I've recently discovered a hobby: hand scanning! That is, calling many numbers manually in hopes to find cool recordings and sounds. I've  found  phone scanner software information from my friend he got software which tell about all kind of ivr information like e.g tone , sisco etc he said program call PhoneSweep  but  so far but don't really understand them. I'll just post all my questions in this thread and if you know the answer it would be much appreciated.

1. What is a phone Scanner?
2. Do i need to install on hosted server?
3. If so, how its work may i need VOIP ?
4. What kind of cool stuff is possible to find?

Thanks in advance,

There is a good deal of wardialing software out there - generally, it just looks for modems. Some have options for voip trunking if you choose to use it. In my experience though, there really is no serious substitute at this time for just doing everything by hand.

3. For Linux you could use WarVox, which goes over voip. I think also iWar has an option, where you could scan over voip 

what voips are compatable with warvox

Ironically, this seems to have come up in a recent Telephreak meeting of the minds last weekend.  So some thoughts and comments:

First,  iWar does *not* do VoIP.  It only does VoIP dialing and Signal Analysis (same as WarVox)... the rest is up to you.  There is no modem software built into iWar.  So out of the box, you could have iWar call and have it interpret certain tones.  Warvox does essentially the same thing but with a web front end and prettier pictures.

That said, during last weekend, the topic was discussed and what it would take to do regular scanning of the PSTN at scale.  Essentially a scan of the entire US/Canada phone network in a frequency to be useful. Ideally, we would want to record every call and have it available for future analysis as the only true way of mapping those goodies would be to just listen, try to do some machine learning to identify and match across the entire dataset.  Due to the latency involved, it seems impossible.  But is it?  Maybe I'm looking for a sanity test.

Recording would involve playing the beeping tone on our side while we listen to the other to keep in compliance with telephone recording laws and that pesky one-party/two-party duality.

Also, recently, I came across a piece of software that fills in the piece that was left out of SpanDSP for use with an analog modem.  It doesn't hit the faster speeds like V32bis or V90 but I'm not trying for speed.  I haven't tried it yet so I'm not going to post a link to something that could be bunk.  But I'm hoping it does.

Lastly, CID/CNAM:  So lots of providers out there offer it, but also noticed there are lots of apps and websites that are also doing the same thing for free.  Like okcaller and other.  Along with Telcodata and what's left of Bell's Mind data (who really should come back to us - we miss you) that should assist in weeding out what not to call.  Since there are more mobile/VoIP lines than old fashion landlines (i would think now), that should reduce the scope of what needs to be scanned regularly - especially if it's been identified in an earlier scan as a voice/human line, then maybe only bother them once a year.  

So, am I insane for considering this?  Is this possible?  Could it be done and be turned into a public database?  Could it be done on a global scale?  I mention all of this in the name of historical network cartography and not as a hacker looking for a toy company... 

On 7/31/2017 at 8:39 PM, xaar1 said:

what voips are compatable with warvox

If fronted with an Asterisk, all the VoIP's.

On 4/13/2017 at 1:03 PM, CCCMiller said:

Thanks in advance,

So let's take this step by step:

A phone scanner is a piece of software or equipment that lets you record or identify a number being dialed automatically.  It's sort of reverse of a robodialer that calls and tries to market you with shit you don't want.  It's commonly also known as a "Wardialer".   Back in my day we would use ToneLoc which even today runs kick ass in a DOSBOX vm.  Somewhere within the threads of this forum is a link to the source code of ToneLoc which was posted with permission for historical reference.  Someone needs to make a copy and push it to Archive.org. 

Today, you can use iWar.  

I would never use the piece of software your friend uses.  For one, they charge a very high price for what can be done for free with a little knowledge.  Two, you will learn more by doing it our way.

Only if you don't have a computer that can be dedicated to the task or lack relatively consistent phone/internet service.  The resources required are small depending on what you have available?  Do you have POTS phone service (meaning land line not mobile)?  Do you have a computer with a modem?  Do you have a touch tone phone?  

If none of this makes sense, I would watch Wargames first along with alot of Youtube video on the subject and top it off with the BBS documentary before attempting to proceed.

No.  If you have phone service of any kind, you can use your fingers and ear.  If you lack either, you can find mechanical approximations of both.  

Again, Wargames or you can watch a video taken almost 10 years ago (my reason for replying and omgosh 10 years! time to do another one..)

While this post probably wasn't as detailed as you may want it, you should consider that what you're attempting to understand is something that the world is leaving behind at warp speed it seems.  If you don't have a passion for it, it won't matter to your daily life going forward.  But for others and the passionate, this is almost historical as it was a part of their lives at one point.  This is a part of the world that is vanishing and there are very few Atrayu looking out for it.