ThoughtPhreaker

Weird 710 thing

6 posts in this topic

So a few weeks back, I was standing at a payphone - something I've been doing that a lot these days. After several visits, the switch that served the part of town I was in was getting a little predictable. So with nothing but time to kill, I started to ask myself if there was anything new to try from here. A few moments later, I picked up and dialed 0-710 and seven digits. Some recording I'd never heard before came on out of nowhere: "We cannot complete your call as dialed. Please hang up, check the number, and try again". When I say it came on out of nowhere, I really mean it; this is a DMS town, and a relatively noisy one at that. Whenever a call goes out of the office, you'll hear a slight tick right as the switch starts to process it. As for local recordings, well, they usually ring. So I shrugged and thought I might've just missed it. So I tried another one: 101-0222-0-710-867-5309. Same thing as before. 101-0333? Some other CAC that doesn't even do 710? Same thing.

When I got home (a hotel at the time of this writing), I tried the same thing from my hotel phone. Same thing. Later that week, payphones in the next county over. Same thing. From a nearby GTE switch, though? It just acted like I dialed any other invalid number.

Something didn't seem right. I figured it was just some weird thing AT&T had strung up locally, so I kept it in the back of my mind until the conference. Denguefevre tried it from his AT&T DMS-100 several states away and got the same thing. Ramsaso on the other hand tried it from an AT&T 5ESS, and got the same thing, well, any AT&T 5ESS gets from the looks of it. Someone tried it from a 1AESS and got something equally different, but equally weird.

So, what is this thing, and why does every AT&T DMS-100 (maybe excluding Bellsouth; that's on my list of things to check) route 0-710+ to it? I have no idea, but the least I can do is record it. So, well, here it is.

weird710thing.flac

You'll have to forgive the analog clipping on those loud clicks from the phone; I've been messing around with some cheap (as in like, not even fifty cents. Thanks, Radioshack!) LM386 circuits, and it looks like the input levels are occasionally a little too much for it. Anyway, let me explain this call. From the hotel PBX dialtone, I dial 1-866-202-9985. Since this is one of those DMS-100s I talked about, you'll hear that tick come on as the PBX dials the number for me and cuts through. A few seconds later, it resets me back to it's dialtone (never underestimate the power of an SS7 cause code on the network, by the way), leaving the PBX out of the equation. Then, I dial 0-710-867-5309. You'll notice as I dial the last digit, there's no tick this time time; just that recording. After it's done, instead of doing it's usual routine, the switch sends me to the permanent signal recording and then completely skips the permanent signal tone. What you get after that instead isn't quite just silence; after it's typically through giving you a permanent signal tone, you get stuck into this weird loopback mode where anything you transmit comes back out the other end. It's not really apparent on this phone with the DTMF that takes forever to unmute the line and with no microphone hooked up, so you'll just have to take my word for it.

Edited by ThoughtPhreaker

I have to wonder if the 0+ is significant in this case, as you're essentially asking for an operator assisted call to... An operator? An area code that is blocked off save for one number?

I'd be curious about a 0+ to the actual GETS number, and see if it goes through (preferably from a payphone).

Here is what Thoughtphreaker is referring to (WARNING: This audio file has LOUD dial pulses. Please TURN DOWN your volume.).

Thing thing 16bit.flac

Also, in this recording, there is a feature/bug which allows one to experience erratic results from my switch (A 5ESS however, I don't know whether other 5ESSes will have this. The probable reason could be that I am getting service from a Digital Loop Carrier/Remote Terminal which also supplies me with DSL internet.)

What I did was:

1. Dial 1177/1187 or *77/*87 (it doesn't matter really but dialing 1177 will get you dial tone without battery drop and 1187 will ringout continuously until after 3 minutes or so, which will cause battery drop and dial tone to be returned. TP thought that the AT&T NOC was remotely controlling my specific circuit and dropped me.)

2. Flash. (The ... 'thing', for lack of a better word, will do an erratic recall dial tone [beep beep bi-- ~~~~~~~~; ~ equals dial tone] and if you were to leave at that, I'll get a battery drop and another dial tone is being returned. After that, it just goes to the permanent signal recording and so on... a normal circuit so to say.

3. Dial your party/machine/equipment and so on. (Once your party finishes with the call and hangs up at the distant end, you will get a battery drop but instantly get another dial tone.)

TP thought that the AT&T NOC was remotely controlling my specific circuit and dropped me.

I did?

In any case, I got to try this from a few different DMSes yesterday. From the one serving my house, it just gave a reorder. So that got me thinking the recording might just be a local thing. Sure enough, from another, someone crudely stuck another voice saying "We're sorry" onto the beginning of this. Finally, from one more, instead of any of these, one more switch gave a completely different message saying I'd dialed an invalid PIN.

So, well, I'm still a little confused, but that at least clears up where the recording is coming from. Maybe there is/was some form of authentication from the local switch for GETS?

I have to wonder if the 0+ is significant in this case, as you're essentially asking for an operator assisted call to... An operator? An area code that is blocked off save for one number?

Maybe. It's clearly not putting you on the toll trunk 710 calls usually go on. I was surprised the switch even allowed it.

For what it's worth, 0 + 710-867-5309 dialed from whatever VoIP switch WOW! uses gives reorder with no error message.

1 + 710-867-5309 gives the dial tone 'prompt' (which I believe is the PIN prompt). After 10 seconds, it drops to an error message: "We are unable to complete your call because operator assistance is not permitted for this call"

0 + 710-NCS-GETS also gives reorder.

1 + 710-NCS-GETS also gives the dial tone 'prompt'. After 10 seconds, it goes to the operator.