ThoughtPhreaker

Vertical Service Codes without star

11 posts in this topic

So if you've looked around a while, you've probably seen some places that talk about dialing *72 as 72#. During a conversation, a friend on the bridge brought up that you can dial *67 as just 67 and wait on his switch. So whenever I get a chance now, I do check and see whether or not I'm dialing from will actually allow this. As far as I can tell, it seems to be somewhat rare, but also a very workable thing in some places.

So have you ever seen this?

I get a "the service you're trying to use is not available on this line" recording from my EWSD when I dial 67 and wait.  When I dial 70 and wait, I get the "if you'd like to place a call..." recording

It's the oldest trick in the book, but you can replace * with 11 (eg. 1167) on most all switches, intended for use with rotary phones.

Yeah, the topic came up because we were discussing PBXes where you might be relegated to dialing just a couple of digits. The rotary dial stuff sounds good in theory, but if you dial, say, 9+1167, there's a lot of scenarios where that'll be interpreted as 911. A couple years ago, I think the FCC actually asked around to make sure the room phones in hotels would do exactly this.

I know on the DMS-100 Centrex where I work, you use the vertical service code before dialing 9 for outside line. So it's *67 (or 1167) + 9 + number. Otherwise as TP said it could have been misinterpreted as dialing 911. (Which is why they recently changed it for us to 9+911) 

On 05/03/2017 at 2:18 PM, ThoughtPhreaker said:

The rotary dial stuff sounds good in theory, but if you dial, say, 9+1167, there's a lot of scenarios where that'll be interpreted as 911.

Funny you say, I got in a little bit of trouble at a hotel a few years ago for exactly that.

Posted (edited)

It seems like everyone ends up with a story just like this :X . I really, really wish people would just suck it up, read the "Emergencies - Dial 9+911" printed on every hotel phone ever, and that would just be the end of it.

Edited by ThoughtPhreaker

I've tested web applications where account verification or event notification is performed with an outgoing SMS or voice call..Sometimes the front-end designers will implement the proper HTML5 regular expression pattern attribute in the input tag (i.e. http://html5pattern.com/Phones). On the other hand, the server-side developers who are coding the components to send the actual DTMF (using the Java Telephony API, for example) rarely perform much validation--if any at all.  Even if they verify that it's a ten digit numeric value, the lack of checking for NANPA format allows entry of star codes using the rotary "11" sequence as a substitute for the asterisk, as some apps compare enough bytes to know an exception needs to be thrown when an actual asterisk is encountered...

On 3/5/2017 at 7:41 AM, smpl said:

It's the oldest trick in the book, but you can replace * with 11 (eg. 1167) on most all switches, intended for use with rotary phones.

Not using Comcast's IP crap!

Admittedly, i'm using it as a CO trunk off my Definity but still!

I wonder what comcast's modem does if I actually try to pulse...

On 7/25/2017 at 5:52 PM, gewt said:

I wonder what comcast's modem does if I actually try to pulse...

Some just deny dial pulse exists and do nothing (like my WOW! service)... Some (like TWC / Spectrum) still have the ability to translate dial pulse / hook-switch dialing.

YMMV.