Ru1722

Question about Vonage

7 posts in this topic

I have an old rotary phone that I like to use to talk on, and apparently Vonage (it's my mom's line, I wish we had a POTS or something similar) allows it to work. Does anybody know why it works? I'm guessing Vonage directly forwards the VoIP packets to the local switch, but i thought I might as well ask to see if anybody else knows.

In case you are wondering why I'm using my mom's line, I'm 17 and still in her house.

I think all of the grunt work of 'translating' rotary / dial pulse to MF (or whatever TF digital channel crap is used in CCIS / SS7) to send via VoIP would be done within the adapter box.

What it does with the data that comes out of the box... Well, this is purely guesswork... But I'd think that whoever your ISP is has an exchange (or several) reserved at a switch (which may or may not be local), that's basically a forwarding address. VoIP traffic acts like Internet traffic til it gets to the switch, the switch recognizes is as 'telco' data, shunts it to the proper connector for the phone number, and then shunts it to the data pipe that feeds your house.

Please by all means correct me if I'm wrong, you other experts. :D

I'm guessing Vonage directly forwards the VoIP packets to the local switch

As much as I wish something like that were true, I don't think it is. Here's how I understand it:

The server processing your calls has no involvement in the local calling area. It's, let's say for example, in Texas. Wherever Vonage feels is cheapest and has the best internet connectivity. When your call hits the switch - or really, the call agent (if I understand correctly) in voip terms in Texas, it does a ported number dip on what you're calling, and looks at a least cost routing database. From there, it determines the cheapest carrier to terminate traffic to whatever exchange you're calling. Sometimes this is via a switch in the terminating local calling area. Other times, it's terminated back onto a toll trunk and completes like a normal long distance call. It all depends on what's more practical for the carrier. If it's an expensive destination, sometimes a carrier will use under the table methods of terminating traffic. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_telecommunications_routes

For incoming, it's a little different. A DID provider will have their own switch in your local calling area - probably something made by Sonus, and they sell those incoming numbers to Vonage. Vonage uses bandwidth.com DIDs if I remember right. Anyway, when it hits the number, it sends the call via the internet to that switch in Texas, which in turn knows to relay it to you.

Anyway, as JCSwishMan said, the analog telephone adapter in your house counts rotary dial pulses itself. What it thinks you're done dialing, it'll put the digits in the SIP invite header along with other information, and send it to the switch in Texas.

In case you are wondering why I'm using my mom's line, I'm 17 and still in her house.

All good, man. Almost everybody starts in this sort of hobby in their teens. If someone implies they're in that age group, I think it's just an unspoken truth here.

Edited by ThoughtPhreaker

Thank you guys, I wasn't sure if it was the adapter or not. For the school I go to, we have a project that we do that involves us going to a place of interest to stay there for a couple of weeks. I'll be working with VoIP switching (specifically PBX's) and SIP trunking. I'm glad you guys helped me out here, I'll be doing more research on VoIP and SIP protocols and I'll definetly ask questions if needed!

By the way, I would've responded quicker but I slipped on ice and I'm pretty sure I broke my tailbone, so I haven't had the chance to respond. 

Here's my telephone bill from Southwestern Bell and I just turned 18 last month.

Untitl0123456789ed.png

On 1/12/2017 at 11:37 PM, ramsaso said:

Here's my telephone bill from Southwestern Bell and I just turned 18 last month.

Untitl0123456789ed.png

I'm curious why you included the phone bill, is there a reason that I am missing?

Yeah, not sure what the posting of the bill is about.

I can't speak for Vonage in particular, but with other ATAs like the Digium IAXy, the conversion from pulse is done in the ATA itself. In the case of the IAXy it leave as IAX (Inter-Asterisk eXchange) protocol, which encapsulated the voice stream, digits dialed, et c. I don't know if there are FXO boards that would then allow you to convert digits dialed into pulses for a line that only has pulse service, but if there was you could probably effectively do pulse in -> pulse out. If such a thing existed, you'd also end up doing DTMF in -> pulse out.