Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
systems_glitch

HexBright Hacking

3 posts in this topic

I bought a HexBright through the original 2011 Kickstarter. Up til now, I've had the stock firmware on it. Today, I finally installed the Arduino IDE (PIC guy here :) ) and played around with the firmware. Pretty easy to hack, and I'd somehow missed that there's an accelerometer and temperature sensor on board! I'm using dhiltonp's library, found on GitHub:

https://github.com/dhiltonp/hexbright

I haven't decided what all I want to put in my firmware yet -- I hadn't considered some of the things done in the sample firmware, and dhiltonp's included examples. There are example firmwares that e.g. use the accelerometer to adjust LED brightness by rotating the flashlight, like an analog knob. There's a "nightlight" mode in one of the examples where the end cap glows dim red, and when you grab it the accelerometer turns on the LED -- 10 seconds of no movement will put it back in "glow the end cap" mode.

I also ran into a slight problem -- the o ring seal at the button end of the light finally tore. I have one of the original "wrong size o ring" lights with a slight clover leaf pattern to the light beam. One of the solutions is to just crank the end cap down, which is what I did. I'd noticed a few cracks forming in the o ring, it finally gave up today. I stuck a generic faucet o ring on there, but it's not really the right size, so I'll probably order a few samples from McMaster-Carr and get something more resilient that also solves the clover leaf issue. If anyone wants one, I'll probably have to order a box of 25 or 100, so I should have plenty!

Anyone else have one of these? Have you hacked on it?

If you need a quick-fix for O-Rings maybe try a Vape Shop. Those things are always leaking from the constant heating and cooling. Most shops have a shit-ton on hand on demand. 

Just an idea.  But I want to order one of those, thanks for the post. 

Hey, there's an idea! Thanks for the suggestion.

I know the guy who started the HexBright project is no longer doing it, but they show up on eBay now and then, and it looks like someone on Amazon has some to sell (price is high, though). I don't know how "open source" the hardware ended up being -- it would be nice to be able to produce extra parts, or whole new lights.