Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tekio

Worst FooBar in the job?

3 posts in this topic

Kind of regarding my most recent status update. What's the worst foobar you've ever done on a production system? 

Mine was the about 10 years ago while working as a level 3 tech for an ISP. Used nano instead of VI and accidently hit the wrong key when saving /etc/passwd. Was an old Slackware system and needed to disable shell and login for a certain ISP account (a mom and pop ISP).

Luckily, still had an SSH session going and was able to restore from backups when the phone started ringing off the hook with support calls. My editor fuxed the line breaks up. LOL  The administrator told me to use VI from then on. X-)

Anyone else ever experienced this heart-pounding scenario at work?  

My worse FooBar (which actually led to my firing) was as follows. I was cleaning and optimizing a database schema for a inventory system of a logistics company. As I was going though the schema I saw a series of database tables called temp_{some name} these tables were identical to tables of the same name (minus the temp_). Long story short after examining the table and not finding any indication that there was data being stored in it, and looking at the source code to verify that there were no calls to these tables I ended up removing them. As it turns out there was some obscure web service that was using these tables to store a single record for a short period of time. (Most likely to provide a fall back for enormous record updates). 

Yes I know; Universally stupid. But, I really couldn't stand my boss at the time and they did me a favor by firing me. B). I'm in a much better place career wise and I'm a bit smarter now as a result.

Sounds like M.S. Great Plains. We use that at work. People keep leaving it opened for lunch, overnight and over the weekend with accounts open.

Every time: "I keep getting an error: Temp table is not longer in existence. GP will not close out now." 

I tell them: "You need to crawl under your desk, pull the power chord to you computer out of the socket. Then you need to wait 15 minutes before plugging back in and booting your computer up.".

They learn quicker that way. :-)