Ru1722

Strange number

5 posts in this topic

I was scanning my local exchange, and I got this weird number that I cannot explain! The number is 518-234-0018 and it gives me a weird ringback-type sound after it rings three of four times, then a blast of audio. If somebody knows what this number is, can you explain it to me?

-Ru1722

4 hours ago, Ru1722 said:

I was scanning my local exchange, and I got this weird number that I cannot explain! The number is 518-234-0018 and it gives me a weird ringback-type sound after it rings three of four times, then a blast of audio. If somebody knows what this number is, can you explain it to me?

-Ru1722

So that's a Verizon DMS-10 switch (CBLSNYZBDS0), for what it's worth.

The second ringtone sounds like a mix of Japanese and UK? Maybe more Japanese. Odd enough...

The tone seems to be indicative of waiting for digits (a passcode or a phone number or something), but I haven't gotten it to respond to anything that makes sense. I entered a long string of touch-tone, and got it to respond with a double tone (almost like an old-school pager), but then I got the "end of recording" tone.

The disconnect is interesting. Seems kind of old-school... One switch disconnects, wait a small time before another disconnect, then after another short amount of time it drops to the local switch (and dialtone, in my case).

It took me a while to figure out those things were just, well, faxes, and not anything cool, but they're just fax machines. Why they can't answer with the normal handshake is anyone's guess, but they'll change their tune right away if you send the fax presence tone (1400 hertz, I think?).

So we shoot 1400 down the line, and it'll spill its guts? Well that's still kind of cool. :D

ThoughtPhreaker, After I called that number another time I figured that out! I got fax noises after dialing a few digits. It was really weird at first.