ThoughtPhreaker

T-Mobile charging 1 cent/minute for calls with high termination fees

9 posts in this topic

So all credit goes to Ramsaso; he pointed this out on the bridge last night. If you have a T-Mobile phone, try calling 712-451-0011. You should get a recording saying they now charge 1 cent a minute to call it, even if you're on their unlimited plan.

... Sounds like I should be glad I switched over to Verizon.

Even though that means I'll have to re-do my mobile 0xx and 1xx calls. Heh.

Heh. I don't know anything about termination fees but remember when $0.01/min long distance on any telephone would have gotten you asked what you were smoking?

But then I don't know anything about how modern cell phone subscriptions work, since I haven't had one since about the mid 90s.

not surprising, considering the other stuff, say data. your limit only applies to non roaming data, theres a seperate cap thats significantly lower say, the unlimited 4g plan, you get a whopping 50mb of domestic roaming data lol.

https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-3299

Man, mobile operators and ILECs are waaaaaay too worried about traffic pumping

On 10/11/2016 at 3:39 PM, kc9pke said:

Man, mobile operators and ILECs are waaaaaay too worried about traffic pumping

Pumping is a real thing and costs real money.  I recently worked for a CLEC whose major source of revenue was running voice bridges for taxi drivers.  Every month we would cut several-thousand-dollar checks to multiple hosts, who each had hundreds of people in their rooms.  The hosts basically moderate a chat bridge; it's kind of like a combination radio show and chatroom.  Sometimes they would feud over someone stealing someone else's callers.  It was pretty funny, until one of the major LD telcos stopped paying the bills we sent them.

I just tried it from my GearS2 on T-Mobile on Simple Choice for Wearables and I didn't get that recording from T-Mo -- just the FreeConferenceCall recording as normal. Unless it's because I was roaming on Telus?

Maybe, yeah. I made sure it did this for a couple T-Mobile users before posting.

On the topic of traffic pumping though, I think my favorite has to be the Doorbell partyline, or the Mexican partyline as it's often referred to in private. Basically, there's this CLEC in California, North County Communications (the same one that hosts the socal bridge), that redirects all their non-working numbers to a fairly large partyline. It's sort of become a shining example of the lowest common denominator in action. The parts of it that aren't a giant, festering pool of sexual frustration are typically dominated by a junior high level of shit talking. If you think this opens it up to being a wonderful trolling opportunity (and you'd most certainly be right. It's always the first place I go to test reactions to sound boards or improv characters), you're definitely not alone. The sheer amount of trolling has made the usual participants pretty thick skinned. To help with that, the bridge automatically mutes anybody playing anything loud for several seconds.

On a technical note, I've been told the system runs a very old build of Asterisk - like, 1.0ish, with custom meetme drivers and a couple T1s. If you'd like to try calling it, there appears to be a couple instances. I think the official number is 213-227/619-364/909-661/714-629/818-685/etc-1234, but occasionally, you'll find some disused incarnation of it if you happen to call around these exchanges looking for non-partyline things. From the documents I can find, it looks like North County opts not to buy SS7 trunking from the ILECs, and instead does everything, including ANI, over MF.

Also, if you happen to look the exchanges up in LERG, you'll see they supposedly have DMSes and 5Es. This is a filthy, filthy lie; they've always had some unrelated, goofy switch.

Edited by ThoughtPhreaker

Yeah, confirmed; apparently while I roam on the border on Telus, I don't get the recording. Flipping back to WiFi calling and in turn T-Mo's IMS core, I'm getting the recording.