Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TheFunk

A question about cable TV

6 posts in this topic

So for the past week I've been doing some light reading on cable TV and Internet, because I was bored. I learned a little bit about DOCSIS 3 and whatnot, and I got to thinking about some things, and I figure this is probably the best place to ask about this.

Let's say I had two houses relatively near one another, maybe one's a guest house... so it's on the same property... which already has cable service... and before you ask, I just don't feel like installing a splitter and running a coax cable all the way to the other house, okay? I wasn't expecting the Spanish Inquisition!

But anyway, yeah, no legal issues with this. So let's say I wanted to transmit digital TV from one house to the other, OTA style. I found some different transmitters online that I think would do what I want, but there's a catch. I want to encrypt the signal between the houses. So I need some logic somewhere along the way that takes the TV signal, converts it to encrypted data, transmits to the other location which then returns the data to its original format and hooray a wireless television bridge.

Any ideas from the cavalry?

The real kicker is encrypting the traffic being sent OTA for less than 4 figures!

EDIT:

I should also note that I'd like to use a directional antenna, because I only want to broadcast to this one specific location. Looking at equipment online, if I cut out the encryption, I could use a UHF transmitter to do what I want, but where's the fun in that? I'd rather use something like Ubiquiti's AirMAX and send/receive encrypted TV.

EDIT 2:

Looking at TV tuner cards, I'm assuming it would be super simple to take the signal from a coax cable and turn it into network data. The complicated part appears to be encrypting that data and then returning that signal to coax elsewhere.

THE FINAL EDIT:

I'm looking into software defined radio for this as well now! RTL-SDR = $30 TV receiver, right? This is going to be a fun project!

Edited by TheFunk

Could you use a Sling Box? 

On 10/7/2016 at 0:27 AM, tekio said:

Could you use a Sling Box? 

How am I supposed to offer my neighbor half priced cable TV like that?

No, sadly that won't work. I'm considering something like an HD HomeRun and then something like AirMAX to connect the guest house to the main house. I wish there were something a little more seamless though.

Please post your research when completed?  This sounds really interesting.  Thought it wouldn't work for you, but just thought I'd bring in up. More as being inquisitive. :-)

On 10/12/2016 at 8:08 PM, tekio said:

Please post your research when completed?  This sounds really interesting.  Thought it wouldn't work for you, but just thought I'd bring in up. More as being inquisitive. :-)

I did a little research into tuners. I'm thinking something like MythTV as a backend with 2 InfiniTV 6 tuners in the same box and then just have a strong data link over the air gap between my house and the "guest" house. After that I'll just use some Raspberry Pi's as the frontend boxes with some USB IR remotes. Linux apparently has builtin support via evdev for IR remotes now. So that's pretty righteous. That should be the simplest way to do it as far as I'm concerned. The trick will be getting a fat enough wireless pipe between the two houses to support 3 or 4 HDTV streams. I'm guessing a pair of decent 802.11ac routers will suffice.

Edited by TheFunk

7 hours ago, TheFunk said:

I'm guessing a pair of decent 802.11ac routers will suffice.

I'm really liking my WRT1200AC. OfficeDepot had them on sale for 99.00. :-) I think the 1900 AC are 199.00