xhausted110

Avaya definity

139 posts in this topic

14 hours ago, grs033 said:

To be honest, I don’t really have the switch protected. I don’t have any “real” co lines. I have an Obihai 202 which converts two google voice lines to co lines. The only other external connection to that is the Ethernet cable to the router. And my ISP is Verizon fios. I don’t think lighting is going to come through the fiber!

The only thing that I’d be concerned about is a power spike on the ac line. I really should get a surge surpressor for the ac line to be totally safe. And connect some #10 green THHN from the ground bus on the switch to some ground somewhere. But I would think that that ground bus would be common with the ground on the ac supply cord.

I am unable to ground the PBX because of it's location and the lack of any ground where it's recommended tie to. 

For the AC power (I think you mean) I have an UPS (obviously for the DA module since UNIX is like dealing with a male asshole (i.e. unforgiving nature of an improper shutdown)) and I think I should be all set. 

Thanks for the feedback.

I know this is a little overdue, but for anybody not too familiar with Linux, installing Audix is pretty straightforward. Before you start whatever machine will be running this, make sure the rotary switch on the card is set to zero; this helps identify the card ID to the software. Apparently, this matters a little less with the Windows drivers. Anyway, after booting the install CD, it'll copy all the install packages and reboot the system. Once it's booted, you'll get a login prompt. Type root at it, and you should get a command line. At there, type:

mkdir /mnt/cdrom

mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom

vi /vs/bin/start_vs_now

(there will be a single line in this script that tries to verify the hard drive serial before allowing the system to start. Press 'i' to input data using the text editor, and then put a '#' in front of the command. This will comment out the command, making the system skip the step. Press escape when you're done, and then ':w'. It should say it wrote the file. ':q' will get you out of there.

Finally, type: ./mnt/cdrom/autoinstall

This should get everything off the ground. Once it's done installing, barring any Dialogic software conflicts, it should Just Work. Anything else can be administered from the web interface. As I said before though, keeping a machine like this exposed to anything near the open internet is likely an extreme liability. Anyway, typing 'dmesg | more' should give insight into any additional conflicts. Use space and enter to scroll down; all the Dialogic messages will be at the very end.

Also, when the system boots, it'll attempt to check for loop current on the phone line. If it can't find it or just feels like being annoying, sometimes it'll put the line in a state where it's permanently offhook, and stop paying attention to it. To get it to behave, tell it to run a diagnostic on the line and it'll check again. To do this, you may have to busy it out (MANOOS) before testing, and release when you're through.

One final note - for anybody thinking about a D/41EPCI (also called a D/41ESC-PCI) card - if you know you're only ever going to use it for Audix - and just this version, there's a slight chance you may be able to get it to work; the old Dialogic 5.x system releases support the card, and a lot of the other weird odds and ends like ISA cards. I found an E locally for like, five bucks, shrugged and picked it up. So far, the system seems to turn it's nose up at it (though it was a little beat up to be fair. There's definitely a component that'll have to be resoldered, and possibly a cut trace). The current releases, however, won't work with it, so the development potential (or just the not running it on a really old OS potential) for them is quite limited. According to random people on the internet, they're half duplex anyway, The long and the short of it though, is it's probably not worth the $3 or whatever you'll save.

If you do have one however, you'll have to avoid the pre-written config files the Avaya people put on there. There'll be some utilities you can use in the /usr/dialogic/bin folder to write a new one for this specific card; I think mkcfg and config.sh . Make sure it writes it to the /usr/dialogic/avaya/cfg/ directory (the path may not be exact on that one; I'm not in front of Audix, and the system I ran it on for like, a day was quickly repurposed for ISDN things).

EDIT: Sorry. The start_vs_now script is copied after the autoinstall script does it's thing. Do it after ./mnt/cdrom/autoinstall

Edited by ThoughtPhreaker

@ThoughtPhreaker where do we get the software for Audix to run on the machine?

Edit: sorry, I just blurted this out right when I woke up and saw this reply. I should have went back to the beginning of the thread to find you posted the file already. Couple more questions now. First... where do you get an old version of Red Hat to run this with? And secondly, my intent was to use this for voicemail as well. What will I need to do to use this version of Audix for that purpose? 

Edited by grs033
Spoke too soon.

The old version of Redhat comes with the software; when you boot the Audix installer, it'll write that to the hard drive. All the software you need to get it going is on there.

so do I need to wipe out the HDD on the pc I intend to use? It currently has windows xp running on it. Is there any formatting or preparation I need to do?

Edit: The files for Audix are not up anymore. Can you upload again, please?

Edited by grs033

Sure!

https://openload.co/f/oQnm-Rx-i08/AUDIX_LX_app_soft.nrg

https://openload.co/f/_Zs_lgNFWds/IALXR2.0.SP2.sp

so do I need to wipe out the HDD on the pc I intend to use? It currently has windows xp running on it. Is there any formatting or preparation I need to do?

As I mentioned towards the beginning of the thread, it'll format your hard drive without asking when the installer boots. Once you boot it, aside from the steps I talked about a couple posts before this, it'll set everything up.

Edited by ThoughtPhreaker

Thanks! Got the files... I’ll burn them to a disc tonight. 

6 hours ago, ThoughtPhreaker said:

As I mentioned towards the beginning of the thread, it'll format your hard drive without asking when the installer boots. Once you boot it, aside from the steps I talked about a couple posts before this, it'll set everything up.

I’m sorry for all the questions... I guess in my mind this should be more difficult than it actually is. I’m thinking I have to finagle things to get this to work. 

Welp, I was met with failure tonight. I'm trying to use CDBurnerXP to make burn a bootable cd for the install. Unfortunately, the program doesn't want to convert the .nrg file to ISO for me to boot. I tried a different method in the program to create an ISO disc, but the machine won't boot from it. I know that an .nrg is a Nero file, and before I go spending $50 to buy Nero, I wanted confirmation that I need to burn an ISO disc through that particular program for this to work. Or maybe there's something else I'm doing wrong that I just don't know about... but I'm a successful failure. Any suggestions?

EDIT: never mind! I found a free nrg to ISO converter. Then burned the converted ISO to disc and now it’s installing. False alarm!

@ThoughtPhreaker So I've run into some problems with installing. 

I got to the part where I login as root and start entering the commands listed above. Here is what I got for what I entered...

# mkdir /mnt/cdrom
mkdir: cannot create directory '/mnt/cdrom': File exists
# mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom
mount: block device /dev/cdrom is write-protected, mounting read-only
# ./mnt/cdrom/autoinstall
ksh: ./mnt/cdrom/autoinstall: not found
#

so I'm not sure where to go from here. I don't know what I might have done wrong. I saw in the edit that I was to do the autoinstall command before the vs command. Can you tell me what I need to do to correct this? 

I swear these things never go well for me... this is the kind of luck I have lol

Also, I kept trying to post a pic of the screen from my phone but I kept running into 403 forbidden errors. Even after I removed the pic, I still couldn't post text only. I also couldn't access the site on my phone or PC via my home internet connection. I had to use my laptop tethered to my phone after restarting it to get a new ip address... something doesn't like me!

EDIT: And yet now it just let me upload the screen shot here. So weird!!!!

IMG_4740.jpg

I got a little further this morning. I didn't have much time to mess with things before work, but I did a couple things, and got the auto install to run. 

I was thinking about it before falling asleep last night that I should try deleting the /mnt/cdrom directory and creating a new one as the instructions stated. Like I said, I didn't have time to see if there was anything in it. I just did a rm -rf /mnt/cdrom which got rid of it. I was then able to create the new directory. 

I then tried using just /mnt/cdrom/autoinstall without the "." in front of it. That started the process of installing it. It seemed to work. The only problem is that when I went back into root to do the vi /vs/bin/start_vs_now. I was able to get into the editor, but when I did the ":w" command, it returned with something to the effect that the file could not be open to be written. The only way to get out of it again was to do a :q!. In the editor, I put in just a "#" by itself, which didn't work. I then tried the whole command "# vi /vs/bin/start_vs_now" which still didn't work. 

I rebooted, and it did say at the end starting voice system (I don't remember what it said exactly, I didn't think to take pictures as I was getting ready) but then just sat and did nothing. 

Edited by grs033

Good afternoon

An update on where I am... I had my buddy who is pretty decent with Unix and Linux come over. He was able to help me figure out what to change in the start_vs_now script. We changed the appropriate line, and was able to get the vioce system to start. The problem we ran into was that an error came up with the dialogic board. It said that it couldn’t find any dialogic boards in the system. Now I’m running this in a non tower pc with the Dialogic D4PCIUFW, which I know there was some question as to weather that would work with this software.

So I then purchased a second hand full size tower PC to accommodate the larger dialogic D/41JCT. Unfortunately, the installation stops dead when the program is probing the machine (specifically at the host bus clock speed, which registers at 0 MHz). The thing I didn’t pay attention to is that this has an AMD Phenom processor. So I’m wondering if there just isn’t drivers for a non-intel processor. One other thing I’ll be trying is to clone the drive from the smaller machine to the drive from the tower. Maybe since I have it installed on that drive, I can get it to run on the bigger machine since it won’t be doing the probing that the installer was doing during startup. I do have low confidence in this working, however. So I might end up having to buy a different intel processor pc. The only thing is I’m not finding anything too suitable on eBay with a decent size drive. 

But while my buddy was here, we tried to find the directory where the parcrypf script is that needs to be avoided. Can you shed some light on where that is hidden? What what specifically you changed in there? Or is this not a factor anymore with running the system?

Just a quick update... and a shout out to @xhausted110 and @gewt for help... 

I got a different older box (a Dell Demension 4550) which can accommodate the larger card, and is an intel processor. So now I get all the way through to where it states that the voice system is up and running and it states that the dialogic card is good to go. Then it says to press enter to go back to the prompt, which puts me back as just root. What am I missing to get to the GUI to set up the system parameters? Am I not getting to it due to the licensing thing? I would love to get around that, but I have no idea where to create a new script since I don’t know where the original one resides. That’s where I could really use some help and insight as to what you guys did to get around it. 

I appreciate the help... thanks!!!

On 07/12/2017 at 2:08 AM, grs033 said:

I got a different older box (a Dell Demension 4550) which can accommodate the larger card, and is an intel processor. So now I get all the way through to where it states that the voice system is up and running and it states that the dialogic card is good to go. Then it says to press enter to go back to the prompt, which puts me back as just root. What am I missing to get to the GUI to set up the system parameters? Am I not getting to it due to the licensing thing? I would love to get around that, but I have no idea where to create a new script since I don’t know where the original one resides. That’s where I could really use some help and insight as to what you guys did to get around it. 

^ I can see the slight frustration.

I've tried to install it on a virtual instance, and I'm able to get the thing up, but when I access the Web URL, it goes a default Apache page. I installed it on a SFF OptiPlex GX240 (for the sake of it despite the small PCI slots) and tried to plug in a serial cable to the serial port, to see if I had to serial in that way, like the traditional Definity Audix card.

Pointers with some maturity and screengrabs, and other visual documentation would be great for all.

Update on any R10 or greater PPN/processor board.

I've done research on this and basically you're SOL if you do not have an active relationship (support contract or otherwise) with Avaya.

Beginning in 2001, starting with the Definity R10 required a very difficult activation process, and I have personally tried before with Avaya a couple years ago. The process basically starts at the purchase order. The Business Partner (their version of VAR) or Avaya themselves would enter the order of the new PBX on their system, with "SAP Codes" (formerly known as the Comcodes from the Bell System days; SAP meaning their ERP of choice for enterprise accounting) and match the customer information on another database. Another common numerical ID is the "Sold To" number, that identifies the customer, and it's physical address and location. At that point the information had to be plugged in by sales and or other reps before the install.

If you ran into the PLDS system that Avaya uses on their extranet, this is how that certificate comes into play. The certificate would come from Avaya's servers and be fed directly to the INADS port via a dial in modem coming out of Denver (or probably India more now than back in the day.) If the CLAN was programmed and had a direct link to the WAN, the certificate could be fed through over IP. 

This system appears to be an in house app (this PLDS system) and in fact it bears a patent, and such reversed engineering from smaller BPs and non BPs have been in the center of DMCA clams (please gag me with such trolls!) 

Avaya has no intention to give these licenses without any contracts to users that have no intention to make millions of dollars and keeping these from being thrown into a dumpster! and when I inquired Avaya 2 years ago, they basically showed me the door with a trail of emails to lawyers. Oh yeah legal counsel had to look into this. (such a #laywermagnet!) 

Given Avaya's current state of financial instability, and whatever happens in the coming years, I would be safe to say that if you do not have any certificates on any "Definity" past Release 10 would be a nice paperweight forever. 

I felt it was important to share to anyone who has ran into something similar to my experiences with a post R10 board. 

On 07/12/2017 at 2:08 AM, grs033 said:

tried?

user: cust

password: custpw

I thought it used similar handles/passwords similar to the PBX side. 

23 hours ago, MakeAvayaRedGreatAgain said:

tried?

user: cust

password: custpw

I thought it used similar handles/passwords similar to the PBX side. 

Well I’m already in as root, which is the highest level. I’m just wondering if there’s a script or executable that needs to be ran to get the GUI to come up.

1 hour ago, grs033 said:

Well I’m already in as root, which is the highest level. I’m just wondering if there’s a script or executable that needs to be ran to get the GUI to come up.

You have to log in as sa to get the GUI.

10 hours ago, xhausted110 said:

Thanks @xhausted110, I didn’t know that! However, when I do log in as craft in this case, the screen goes black, then I get the error “Fatal server error: no screens found” and it puts me back to the login prompt. Not sure what’s going on there...

On 12/8/2017 at 11:36 PM, xhausted110 said:

what's "sa"? 

On 12/9/2017 at 10:28 AM, grs033 said:

Thanks @xhausted110, I didn’t know that! However, when I do log in as craft in this case, the screen goes black, then I get the error “Fatal server error: no screens found” and it puts me back to the login prompt. Not sure what’s going on there...

I suspect a problem with the Xwindows. I'm thinking there is a driver conflict. This has happened when I've used other Linux distros.

8 minutes ago, MakeAvayaRedGreatAgain said:

what's "sa"? 

I figured it meant System Administrator. So that’s what prompted me to try craft.

8 hours ago, grs033 said:

I figured it meant System Administrator. So that’s what prompted me to try craft.

sa is AUDIX's equivalent of the cust account. 

1 hour ago, xhausted110 said:

sa is AUDIX's equivalent of the cust account. 

Hmmm. I didn’t set a password for that when things were installing. Is that a user I have to add myself? Or is there a default password for that user?

1 minute ago, grs033 said:

Hmmm. I didn’t set a password for that when things were installing. Is that a user I have to add myself? Or is there a default password for that user?

It asked me when I installed it. If you don't have the password, just set it yourself from the root account with "passwd sa" 

6 minutes ago, xhausted110 said:

It asked me when I installed it. If you don't have the password, just set it yourself from the root account with "passwd sa" 

I’ll definitely give that a try. But first I have to figure out why I’m getting this “no screens found” error. I swear I’ve had non stop problems trying to get this system to run! But that’s my luck lol

While you’re here... could you tell me where that liscencing script is located that I have to change or add a new script? And how you got around it? 

8 minutes ago, grs033 said:

While you’re here... could you tell me where that liscencing script is located that I have to change or add a new script? And how you got around it? 

Sorry, I don't know offhand, I'll have to look when I get home.

1 minute ago, xhausted110 said:

Sorry, I don't know offhand, I'll have to look when I get home.

Thats fine... thanks though! I appreciate it!

On 12/12/2017 at 1:44 PM, grs033 said:

I’ll definitely give that a try. But first I have to figure out why I’m getting this “no screens found” error. I swear I’ve had non stop problems trying to get this system to run! But that’s my luck lol

From having basic exp with UNIX, it's trying to run a window program to function the GUI. In this case it would be Xwindows. 

On 12/12/2017 at 1:33 PM, xhausted110 said:

When I installed it I entered "root" and I got into the prompt. Entered setup to get a static IP configuration, and tried to configure the Xwindows so I could use the GUI. Because i have this on a VMware vmachine, I don't know what driver it could take, so it would test then say it failed. 

So here’s an update on where I am...

I decided to reinstall the whole system on this new machine, thinking that maybe the incorrect video driver was installed since the installation occurred on an old machine. That did the trick. I am now able to get into the GUI. The interesting thing is that it says I have 100 mailboxes purchased and 4 voice ports. The problem is I’m still in release 1.1. I did some google searching on how to run a file on cd as an executable, and just got even more confused. I can mount the cd just fine, but I have no idea how to install the service pack. And that’s where I’m wondering if I’m going to run into this licensing thing. 

But for now, I have everything set up on the switch end with the extensions wired to the dialogic board and the hunt group assigned. I’m putzing around in it now to see if I can figure out how to set the system up since the instructions on the configuration notice aren’t matching up (of course).

FYI: the GUI for AUDIX can be accessed remotely.

8 hours ago, gewt said:

FYI: the GUI for AUDIX can be accessed remotely.

What does that mean? How does that get achieved?

I mean, such vague language can't run away under my eyes.