xhausted110

Avaya definity

106 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, ThoughtPhreaker said:

Nope. Release nine doesn't use any sort of key-based licensing, so while the R12 processor will accept the translations, it'll run in no license mode. In a word, it's no fun mode. The translations for the later systems also have a key that includes the processor's serial number. I dunno if/when there'll be any concrete success to work out, but for the moment, the processor I yanked off eBay had some encouraging things to say:

This licensing thing someone with a bigger brain than I have should really look into it beyond the Definity but in the Aura world too. A source had contacted me recently of having a G250 at home and had the ability to get find a S8500 server to run Aura and was talking to their Business Partner (Avaya's =/ VARs) of trying to get some license and the BP had basically went silent and gave a half answer if it could be possible. It's apparently cheaper to not acquire a new license and just copy the crypto from one PPN or server to another when it's done by Avaya or a BP; and that's why mine had the 30 day countdown.  

4 hours ago, ThoughtPhreaker said:

If you play around (don't be shy; carrier grade telecom gear isn't exactly made of glass), you'll find the byte that tells the Definity to prompt you for ASG instead of a regular password. It should be about 112 bytes after the last character of a password, and will be a 0x01. There's like, six, so a minimal amount of trial and error will find it. When you get a copy of your translations file, change it to 00, and change another 00 in the file (most next to the first byte should be fine) to a 01 to satisfy the checksum and upload it. If you do this for, say, inads, you'll have permission to write to the system's RAM at will. You can change this for init, but the system will just ignore this. Sort of a moot point, since not much can be done in the way of activation without knowledge of the licensing.

I'd rather not go into details of why I am not a genius in hex and TLAs, and other nerdy things because to be honest it goes over my head when it's spitted out randomly, especially when some will use vague language. (Basically I should just disclose, my IQ level on technology is at the "management" level. It's the differences that makes the world go 'round right?) I also feel a little pushed to be honest by some of the replies. I'm known to be a clutz and been taught to not be risky with "expensive" gear.

Edited by MakeAvayaRedGreatAgain

@MakeAvayaRedGreatAgain Yeah, because all of the work I've done was for small businesses that friends of mine had, and just did work unpaid as a favor to people (and because I am a nerd and secretly like doing the work). Since I'm a nerd and always had an interest in phone switching systems, I decided to try to learn Definity to satisfy my curiosity and to run at home. But I've never worked in a professional capacity with phone systems. I'm actually a tower controller for a railroad (long story on how I got here). So all of this is just side dabbling for my nerdy side. B)

Well I was looking around in the switch today just doing some exploring, and came across change system-parameters special-applications. There was one option that looked interesting in there that I wanted to try out. Now at the top of the first page, it looks like it wants a password and key to change those features. Is that something that is hidden in the ram as well? Anyone have experience with these?

Posted (edited)

For anybody else interested in ASA, here's a copy:

http://www87.zippyshare.com/v/5KLQq8cL/file.html

https://openload.co/f/Vmg1F004bdM/siteadmin.zip

That file I uploaded was the file that HyperTerminal output to the target folder (which was just the program file folder). Did I do something wrong or use an incorrect setting? I followed instructions you had given in the beginning of the thread of using xmodem in HyperTerminal. I can try to download the translation from the switch again if there’s something I should have done differently.

I think the command to grab the translations from the Definity to a computer is 'upload translations'. I'm honestly a little confused; I've never seen it barf out something blank like that before. If you could try again, that'd be great; there's a checksum for like every block in the xmodem protocol, so there's no chance of it uploading something it shouldn't. Well, not without Hyperterminal (or the Definity) raising a huge stink anyway.

As far as setting up AUDIX like that, I would definitely appreciate being walked through the process. I am fairly new to running a Definity switch. I just got my first “lab switch” a few months ago and have pretty much just been feeling my way through and googling a lot of what I’ve encountered (Which is how I found this thread). All of my experience with switches up until this point has been primarily Nortel Norstar or occasionally Avaya Partner & Merlin Legend/Magix systems. Definity has always been something I’ve wanted to tackle and dabble around in. So I’m sorry if I’m being a little needy here, I’m just not 100% sure of what I’m doing. But I want to learn so I can do these things for myself.

No worries! It might be a while before I can get a normal machine to run this with (the machine that currently runs my Dialogic code gets pretty frequent use right now, and being headless, it's hardly a normal install case) though, so let me know if you want me to just help you remotely for now. I know enough by memory to get it working for that and improvise the rest.

For starts, you'll need a Dialogic card. This is the particular model I have. It's cheap and works with normal POTS stations. Occasionally you'll see them go for a little cheaper on eBay, but this is pretty good: http://www.ebay.com/itm/D41JCTLSW-Dialogic-4-Port-Analog-Loop-Start-PCI-SP-Voice-Interface-Card-/272816283916?epid=1656832384&hash=item3f851e210c:g:K98AAOSw4DJYf22m . It's about a foot long, so finding a machine it physically fits in (most off the shelf ATX machines will do) is going to be your biggest bottleneck. Any Pentium 3 (or later 2)-era thrift store/yard sale/dumpster machine with 256 or so MB RAM will run the software perfectly fine. After booting the install CD, keep in mind it'll overwrite your hard disk without asking too. Once it boots, you may need to set the root password and start up an SSH server (beware that leaving any system running a Linux distro this old on the public internet is an extreme liability. Since it was convenient, I was using a dial-up modem to run mine for a while) before installing the Audix software packages. If you need any help with that, just let me know.

So what I think I’m understanding is that I’d have to do some cleanup of that ram dump to get rid of some of the extra data that it spit out. Then convert the hex to binary. I’m guessing you know which memory locations to look at to find the password then.

That's right; the formatting stuff the Definity spits out with the dump isn't part of what's in RAM. But by pasting all that in a hex editor, you're converting ASCII to hex data, though. The RAM location with the passwords changes with each build. My way of figuring out where is to just search for the string 'inads' until I find what looks like passwords. From the TCM shell (which I *think* exists in release 6. At least, there's a TCM process. I don't think you can type 'go tcm' until 7 or 8 though), you can get a fairly solid example from the Definity itself of what the location with passwords looks like:

PR_LOGIN 696e 6164 7300 006c 756a 6521 7376 6a2e 'inads  luje!svj.'
PR_LOGIN 0000 006c 756a 6521 7376 6a2e 0000 0001 '   luje!svj.    '
PR_LOGIN 0101 0101 0001 0101 0101 0101 0101 0100 '                '
PR_LOGIN 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 '                '
PR_LOGIN 0000 0000 0100 0000 0000 0000 0101 0101 '                '
PR_LOGIN 0101 0100 0000 b21a 22c3 69b8 786c 0000 '        " i xl  '
PR_LOGIN 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 ffff ffff '                '
PR_LOGIN ffff ffff 0000 0000 0000 0000 ffff ffff '                '
PR_LOGIN ffff ffff '    '

Well I was looking around in the switch today just doing some exploring, and came across change system-parameters special-applications. There was one option that looked interesting in there that I wanted to try out. Now at the top of the first page, it looks like it wants a password and key to change those features. Is that something that is hidden in the ram as well? Anyone have experience with these?

That's a good question - I don't think the keys are necessarily in the RAM, but the program that validates them definitely is. I honestly don't have any idea how to do it.

EDIT: Here's some cheaper Dialogic cards. Like I said, they go for peanuts:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dialogic-D-41JCT-LS-4-port-Combined-Media-Board-Voice-Interface-Card-/263201498830?epid=86074960&hash=item3d480826ce:g:AZoAAOSwZr9ZtxdD

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DIALOGIC-4-PORT-ANALOG-VOICE-FAX-COMBINED-MEDIA-BOARD-D-41JCT-LS-/162099670042?epid=86074960&hash=item25bde4ac1a:g:PVIAAOSwbwlXCsoz

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dialogic-D-41JCT-LS-Combined-Media-Board-Voice-Interface-Card-/332385891932?epid=86074960&hash=item4d63be365c:g:sm4AAOSwo4pYCRGh

It's a little strange; these go for like, $5,000 brand new, and some of them weren't even opened. From the auction descriptions, it sounds like some people are mistaking these for dial-up modems. If you're willing to go through the trouble to develop software for them, it's a ridiculously good deal.

There's also another card you can occasionally find that's smaller and should be runnable using the same API. I haven't tested it, but if anybody wants to give it a try, here's one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/DIALOGIC-D-4PCIU-D4PCIUFW-44-0053-02-4-PORT-VOICE-FAS-MEDIA-PCI-E-CARD-/272741298914?epid=80086610&hash=item3f80a5f2e2:g:bPQAAOSwnK9ZVTr0

Edited by ThoughtPhreaker

@ThoughtPhreakerOk... I ordered one of the cards you listed. I put in an offer for the other card for experimental purposes. It says there is one other offer out there, so I'm not sure I'll get it. But I'll keep an eye out for those type in the future to try out. 

I also sent you a PM...

Alright.. I got both cards. I just have to find a machine to put them in... almost there!