xhausted110

DMS 500 on eBay

8 posts in this topic

I'm pretty sure they still are; you're almost guaranteed to find at least a couple in any major city. There's also some fans for Nortel optical gear and huge, presumably power distribution related fuses from the same seller. Maybe it's from a smaller CLEC going out of business? There's been a bit of that happening recently.

EDIT: There's also this DMS MSC. You'll probably see it if you look several years back in forum posts; it's been on there for a long, long time; http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nortel-DMS-SWITCH-DMS-100-TDMA-and-CDMA/360159860836

Heh... Started poking around and saw the switch TP was talking about.

Dug a little deeper, and found this beaut.

5 hours ago, JCSwishMan33 said:

Heh... Started poking around and saw the switch TP was talking about.

Dug a little deeper, and found this beaut.

Nice! That looks like an XY universal switch. The thing about XY is that all of the control circuitry and relays that would normally be built into a regular step selector, connector or linefinder are on a separate part of the rack. So that switch could be plugged into any type of control circuitry and work. They are pretty much useless without that control circuity, unfortunately.

EDIT: There's also this DMS MSC. You'll probably see it if you look several years back in forum posts; it's been on there for a long, long time

Only $125 grand; no reason why we can't all pool our resources together and get this thing for a hacker conf/bridge/loop exchange is there? I mean, besides finding somewhere to put it all? Sure be a nice change from Ass-to-Risk anyways.

At least around my part of 672/the country I don't think you can even buy a house that cheaply any more.

NT2X47BA PRINTED CIRCUIT PACK TTU CONTROLLER A-LAW

NT2X48CC A-LAW DTMF RECEIVER

Interesting; I thought M-law was supposed to be the standard in north America. Do DMS used A-law internally then convert it to M for outgoing T carrier lines?

I don't think XY equipment is very rare so that price seems high.  The seller is clear about the fact he doesn't know what he's got.

Xhausted mentioned that control circuitry is required.  That is true but at the 2014 Lancaster TCI show, somebody had one XY switch (not sure if it was a universal switch) in a demo unit.  I could find out some specifics.  If the requisite equipment to make it work by some means fit into a demo, XY seems small-scale-friendly.

I'm putting together a small SxS system.  I got most of the equipment at a TCI show.  This stuff is out there, but only a minuscule amount is sold on eBay.  You can place & receive calls with just a connector switch; small scale is possible.

Only $125 grand; no reason why we can't all pool our resources together and get this thing for a hacker conf/bridge/loop exchange is there?

We could probably do one better, and assemble our own switch from parts; probably for much cheaper too. There's some relatively small cabinets (the smallest is something like six or seven feet tall by two and a half feet wide. Cisco used one of these to develop POTS and PRI support for the Callmanager) that are out there. Different market, but I did this to get a Definity for about $150.

Interesting; I thought M-law was supposed to be the standard in north America. Do DMS used A-law internally then convert it to M for outgoing T carrier lines?

Nope, but internally, they do use some form of lopsided E1 they call a DS-30. As far as I can tell, every Nortel switch; DMS-100s, 10, Meridians, Norstars - every Nortel switch seems to use this in some form. Like an E1, it has 32 channels, and both the first and 16th are reserved for signaling, but it has 10 (as opposed to 8 in T1/E1) bits per channel, giving it a data rate of 2.56 Mbps. There's also something called a DS-512 used internally in the DMSes which, yeah, is an E3 just as messed up as Nortel's deformed flipper child E1.

There'd be a huge number of cool things we'd be able to do with our own DMS, but one thing I'd eventually like to try my hand at is running some of the proprietary ICs that speak this protocol with a logic analyzer, and learning enough about it to make our own cards for the switch.

At the end of the day, I just want an excuse to run up to a CO wearing a trenchcoat, and go "Hey, uhh... you wanna buy some cards? >.> "

At least around my part of 672/the country I don't think you can even buy a house that cheaply any more.

Right there with you; it's about $300,000 on the nose for even a small house in the middle of nowhere here.

On 7/6/2016 at 2:56 AM, ThoughtPhreaker said:

At the end of the day, I just want an excuse to run up to a CO wearing a trenchcoat, and go "Hey, uhh... you wanna buy some cards? >.> "

We were tossing (as in... straight in the e-waste recycling closet it went) old MiTel SX2000 Light gear at my old job when a coworker clued me in our local maintenance vendor has to resort to buying spares on eBay to service our system. I suggested snagging the parts and waiting for a part to fail and selling it back to the maintenance vendor at overly inflated prices...