tekio

Who can figure this one out?

6 posts in this topic

Bandwidth chart of ports on a switch from a freelance job I did today. Totally laughed out loud for about five minutes when I figured the story out. This was causing a HUGE network issue:

bandwidth.png

Wish I paid more attention to networking classes in high school. Was there a hub with a bunch of devices connected to that port? Was someone torrenting a giant file without a bandwidth limit? Did a wifi router not have a password on it? Pls do tell

You are on the right track! There were three buildings. connected via fiber, like: A -> B -> C

The internet connection was in building C

All the servers in building B. The gateway router in building B.  It is not mesh.

So from building A, it went: [secondary switches Building A] -> [primary main switch building A] -> [switch Building B] -> [switch building C] -> [Frame Relay to ISP]

Than in building C it went: [switch building C] -> [gateway router building B] -> [switch Building C] -> [ISP] 

Those are 3 ports in building C sending traffic to building B, then back to C out port G28 to the ISP.  They had 10 open ports on the switch with over 80 MAC addresses associated in 45 minutes.  Someone obviously has something against laying cable. They also had switches nested up to 8 deep in some scenarios.  

47 minutes ago, tekio said:

had 10 open ports on the switch with over 80 MAC addresses associated in 45 minutes.  Someone obviously has something against laying cable. They also had switches nested up to 8 deep in some scenarios.  

And that's why I went into webdev, that network just sounds like a headache lol. 

I did freelance web-dev for a while. IMO - it's easier to clean up networking than playing with spaghetti code. I wouldn't re-do projects from where anyone left-off. I'd always start from the ground up or not take the job. I hated needing fix someone's broken code - it gave me headaches (serious - bad headaches and little sleep). LoL

Yup, fixing other people's work is a pain. My work is great, luckily everybody knows what they're doing and the existing code base is for the most part perfect. Some old tech is still kicking but it could be way worse.

Networking would drive me nuts, I have a hard time keeping the wires on my desk organised haha