Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ThoughtPhreaker

Ukrainian Crossbar Exchange

9 posts in this topic

Self-explanatory, really. +380-542-33-xxxx, among probably other things, will route to it. Does anybody feel like doing any sort of scanning project with this? I'm willing to bet there's some stuff in here you don't hear every day.

Here are some recordings of it. Apologies for the low volume. Additionally, the number dialed has been obscured so as to respect the privacy of the individual being dialed.

On the "Ukraine Crossbar switch busy" file, you hear me dial directly through AT&T Long Distance to Ukraine (at 22¢ a minute!-that's already with an international long distance plan) by me dialing 011 380 542 33 xxxx. You will hear silence because the call takes some time to process through AT&T and then you will hear two clicks and the busy signal from the 4E (I believe from 121T? Well, that's where my calls are forwarded to whenever my international call can't get processed).

On the "Ukraine Crossbar switch ringing" file, you, again, hear me dial directly through AT&T Long Distance to Ukraine with that same number again 30 seconds later. Again, you will hear silence as the call gets processed through AT&T. Then, a single pronounced click is heard and then you will hear the European ringing signal.

On the 3rd and last file, the call is through a different number and you can hear 3 clicks in this one.

Those files have not been filtered. 

Ukraine Crossbar switch busy.mp3

Ukraine crossbar switch ringing.mp3

Ukraine crossbar switch ringing 2.mp3

------>Here are some more with normal volume levels (using an Olympus TP-8) dialing through my Western Electric 500 set.

On the "bzzz" file, it is what it is. I presume that is from the crossbar switch. That "bzzzt" sound.

The "not in service" recordings sound like they were routed to a digital switch or announcement machine since there is no clicks at all- both from the in-line coupler and from my TP-8.

Ukraine crossbar switch ringing bzzz.mp3

Ukraine crossbar switch not in service (question mark).mp3

Ukraine crossbar switch not in service (question mark) 2.mp3

There's a goodie on the last "not in service" recording! That's +380 542 33 1126! (US and Canadian callers: 011 380 542 33 1126) That number does not supervise meaning that if you are calling it without an international long distance calling plan, you will NOT get charged, assuming your provider does/did not use cheap routes to call it.

Edited by ramsaso

Is that buzz an old mechanically generated European ring?

Here's a recording I made of the switch a few years back; http://thoughtphreaker.omghax.ca/audio/sumy.wav . I think those 480 hertz beeps are charge tones of some sort - the call goes offhook as soon as they happen. As you'll see, they won't necessarily happen when whatever you're calling really goes offhook for whatever reason. Try listening with some good headphones - you can hear the power ring being completely in phase with the ring. Strangely enough though, this switch won't click or anything when the calls do go offhook; after it cuts through and rings, it's completely silent until the call hangs up.

Anyway, I made a few calls over the week. Including the stuff Ramsaso found, here's what we have so far.

+380-542-34

9999 - Digital ringback

7000 - Digital ringback

1000 - American ringback

+380-542-33

9999 - Weird noise + digital ringback, supes

9900 - Silence?

9000 - Long silence, no ringback
8999 - Long silence, no ringback
8000 - Long silence, eventual wrbly ringback
7999 - Click from xbar + busy via SS7 (rang out on next call)
7899 - Ringout
7799 - Ringout
7699 - Subscriber
7114 - Ringout
7100 - Ringout to charge tone x3, <click>
7000 - Subscriber
6999 - Ringout
6899 - Ring x3, clunk, ringout (call forward?)
6800 - Ringout
6700 - Ringout
6600 - Ring x3, clunk, ringout (call forward?)
6500 - Ring x3, clunk, ringout (call forward?)
6400 - Ringout
6300 - Ringout
6200 - Ringout
6100 - Ringout
6000 - Ring x3, clunk, ringout (call forward?)
5999 - Ring x3, clunk, ringout
5000 - Subscriber, ring x1 + plus
4999 - Ringout
4899 - Ring x3, clunk, ringout (call forward?)
4700 - Ringout
4200 - Ringout
4100 - Ringout
4000 - Ringout
3999 - Ringout
3899 - Ring x3, clunk, ringout (call forward?)
3799 - Ring x3, clunk, ringout (call forward?)
3699 - Ring x3, clunk, ringout (call forward?)
3599 - Subscriber
3499 - Ringout

3200 - Subscriber
3100 - Ringout
3000 - Ringout
2999 - Ringout
2368 - Ringout
2180 - Subscriber
2000 - Busy via SS7
1999 - Ringout
1998 - Subscriber
1234 - Ringout
1126 - NIS via SS7
1100 - Subscriber
1099 - Click from xbar + busy via SS7
1098 - Ringout
1081 - Ringout to answering machine/fax for Sumy State University
1080 - Ringout
1000 - Ring x1, charge tone x1, supe + ringout
0999 - Silence?
0000 - Ringout

+380-542-32

9999 - Digital ringback, ringout

7000 - Digital ringback, ringout

0000 - Digital ringback, ringout

+380-542-31-

7000 - Digital ringback, ringout

Edited by ThoughtPhreaker

What is this solid tone  it goes to after the ringback?

TestNumber?.wav

On 21/06/2016 at 11:18 PM, ThoughtPhreaker said:

Here's a recording I made of the switch a few years back; http://thoughtphreaker.omghax.ca/audio/sumy.wav . I think those 480 hertz beeps are charge tones of some sort - the call goes offhook as soon as they happen. As you'll see, they won't necessarily happen when whatever you're calling really goes offhook for whatever reason.

Yeah I came across these on a number of calls as well, I thought they had something to do with supervision. I will try to get a landline (Unfortunately I'm really out in the sticks), It's such a shame to record these on VOIP.

ChargeTones?.wav

CallWithMetallicSoundingClanks.wav

MetallicClank.wav - This is the sound amplified.

This was after calling a valid number that supes usually, weird things happen sometimes just calling the same number.

AISBrokenOrShittyRoute.wav

Edited by scratchytcarrier
merged 4 consecutive posts made in a short timespan together

Their ringback seems to have the same cadence as UVB76. Hmm.....

You should maybe try calling that test number back and throw some DTMF at it (including fourth-column), it could be it's a second dial tone waiting for input. I doubt it but you can try. (Man, after hearing that loud tone all the way through, on earphones, everything in the room now sounds like I'm hearing it over an old Ma Bell LPCM T-carrier. Yes, sadly there are still a few of those around.)

If that is indeed a dial tone, the volume and pitch, doesn't that kind of conjure up vague memories of Benson, VT in the 1970s?

FYI -- don't put question marks in file names since the question mark is a wildcard in some OSes (cough Microspend cough) and it could cause saving to fail.

17 hours ago, YetAnotherAccount said:

What is this solid tone  it goes to after the ringback?

TestNumber?.wav

Yeah I came across these on a number of calls as well, I thought they had something to do with supervision. I will try to get a landline (Unfortunately I'm really out in the sticks), It's such a shame to record these on VOIP.

ChargeTones?.wav

CallWithMetallicSoundingClanks.wav

MetallicClank.wav - This is the sound amplified.

This was after calling a valid number that supes usually, weird things happen sometimes just calling the same number.

AISBrokenOrShittyRoute.wav

With regards to the test number -- if it goes to that solid tone regardless of routing -- every time -- it might be certainly something to look in to.

The  'charge tones' are fax machine answer tones. It does have to do with supervision, in that -- if those two beeps are heard, the fax machine has gone off hook and the call is now supervised. If the receiving fax machine doesn't hear a 1100 hz CNG tone, it will treat the call as non-fax, and the phone will start ringing.

With the metallic clanks, they sound potentially like they might be coming from the subscriber-end when they picked up the fax machine handset. 

On the AIS recording -- it may very well be routing, as VOIP is all over the map on that front.

Also, it did sound potentially like you may have been recording with a microphone. While not awful, i'd definitely recommend using some software. Audacity is great, it's free, and it supports recording your audio output natively (might be driver based? -- don't think so, though).

With the metallic clanks, they sound potentially like they might be coming from the subscriber-end when they picked up the fax machine handset.

Might be that be it's old enough to have a mechanical relay in the signal path. Phone rings x number of times, relay cuts the machine through the line. I don't pretend to know anything about how European fax machines work but some (most) answering machines here 1970s-early 1990s had that. If it's that then it's the microphonics of the relay coming through the line, the same thing that causes all the clanky noises on step and xbar systems.

Also, it did sound potentially like you may have been recording with a microphone. While not awful, i'd definitely recommend using some software. Audacity is great, it's free, and it supports recording your audio output natively (might be driver based? -- don't think so, though).

(See: http://www.binrev.com/forums/index.php?/topic/47496-what-can-i-do-phreaking-wise-on-a-1aess-switch/&do=findComment&comment=366362 )

Yetanother, you may want to get an inter box and recording straight off the line with it. They're cheap on Amazon. Setup can't be simpler, plug one end into the phone line and the other end into the sound card or tape recorder's MICROPHONE input (not LINE). This makes a direct electrical connection between the recorder and the PSTN and gives you the highest fidelity recordings. You can also get the kind that connects between the receiver and the fone but phrom experience they don't work as well and you can't monitor the "mysterious" noises on the line when the fone's idle (on-hook).

Posted (edited)

I made a few quick recordings of this switch over the Definity ADC/Dialogic card. Sharing the numbers themselves will be up to the person that found this switch, so uploading this is the least I can do.

ukrainecalls.zip

I think research into this exchange showed it was retrofitted in the late 90's with some digital gear - maybe new register senders (or whatever they call them here) and the like, for whatever that's worth.

Edited by ThoughtPhreaker