Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
scratchytcarrier

TV sets, TV sets and more TV sets

7 posts in this topic

What is it with all these television sets I've suddenly been finding dumped along roadsides lately? Most of them still seem to work and some are pretty nice for what they are. Just hauled a really nice working $2000 1997-model 50" Sony 3-CRT projection set out of a road stub by an apartment complex in Vancouver a couple Mondays ago. (The red tube is a little bit misaligned but can probably be adjusted. That I got to it before the vandals did is even more surprising.)

With the dozen or so TVs now in my possession I'm almost starting to feel a little bit like Rodalco-two-sowzand-und-sevvun must. (Hmm,. I'm thinking... maybe some potassium nitrate and one or two smoke flares?)

I'm guessing it's just people upgrading and getting rid of functional but "outdated" sets. Anything with a CRT is curb fodder nowadays, and even some of the older LCD and plasma TVs are showing up in working condition. We found a 32" LCD TV with the remote taped to the top on the curb before we left NY. Cleaned it up and used it until we moved, gave it away on moving though.

Apparently a curb is more convenient than a land-full. When I moved couldn't give all my old CRT monitors away. :-( 

Managed to get the red gun in the Sony "realigned" yesterday, turns out the lens was just out of focus and needed adjustment. I'm debating if I should use it as the new bedroom TV or park it in the garage and use it as a monitor for the surveillance cameræ.

What I really want to do is replace the stock plastic fresnel grating screen with a piece of matte white acrylic or (better yet) frosted glass. It's really painful to look at for long periods of time and its field of view is so narrow, so forget anything other than a perfect head-on look angle. Whoever thought that using grating as screen in rear projection TVs was a good idea must have been smoking, snorting and injecting the same substance.

What is it with all these television sets I've suddenly been finding dumped along roadsides lately?

Since you mention it, I've noticed a lot of that too. Along with sun-bleached kids toys, dressers, and all that. The TVs here look like they're in pretty good condition though. Would there be any practical way to modify them to take 15 KHz RGB signals? Or as practical as you can get for opening up a machine with capacitors that can kill you, anyway.

Came across an otherwise really nice one last saturday in the same place I found the answering machine. 1986 solid-state, cable-ready 36" stereo Mitsubishi (likely a Diamondtron). The huge-ass boxy remote had a "TEXT" button, so it must have had either a NABTS or WST-525 decoder (or closed captioned?). 3 stereo composite inputs in the back and mighta had an S-video on one. So obviously it was a top of the line set for its day.

I didn't grab it. I have enough TVs now that I need another one about as much as I need to get testicular cancer. The grille on the back-top was smashed in (the set was still in too good of shape to have been vandalized, probably somebody dropped something heavy on it) and somebody had pillaged the AC cord. The latter isn't hard to fix but the smashed in grille is suspect since the back of the CRT may have gotten damaged/broken.

This thread has inspired me to purchase a huge  CRT Sony Trinitron from 1994. Then set it outside some apartments just to watch people try an lift up. The only flaw is, I will need to carry out there.