Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
systems_glitch

HOPE 11 -- Who's Going?

12 posts in this topic

I'm thinking about it depends on my work schedule it would be nice to see everyone again.

Every couple years or so I get the idea "should I go?" then I open up a 2600 or hear Off the Hook and am reminded why I don't.

I kind of lost faith in Hope (get it?) around 2000 when they took on their "let's outdo Defcon" attitude and it just became a joke from there. It went from a halfway respectable, humble semi-underground "yes-we-can-do-this" convention to an expensive commercial spectacle so far above ground you have to look down to see the sun.

Remember: In the Beginning there was only a single 28.8K modem in the kitchen. Then the hackers said "let there be connectivity" and there was. And the hackers saw there was a connection, and that it was good.

I've been going to Hope since Hope Number 6. I'll still most likely go to future cons because I like hanging out with the Radio Statler crew. But alas, this year I'll be getting married and I'll be just getting off the Honeymoon (and most likely broke as hell). I did mention the conference to her and I pointed out that she has always wanted to go to NYC in hopes that she would agree to double the Honeymoon with the conference. But it was little surprise when I got a very negative response to that suggestion :fish:

Well hopefully there will be one in 2018. and hopefully Radio Statler will still be there as well. 

Just preordered my ticket! Probably ride the Amtrak up as I don't think anyone around me is driving in.

Likely going to be my first miss.  I am just so out of the scene that I really do not have much desire to go to these anymore.  They are just scenes now... or I turned into a jaded old man.  Possibly both.

Eh, I think HOPE Is more than just a scene still. I ended up hanging out a lot in the lockpicking village last time, trying to get that stupid blue ABUS lock that was hanging off of the ceiling! Got pretty good at picking every other lock they had laying out though! The talks I actually made it to (was helping with the vintage computer guys) were solid. Most of Albany 2600 made it down so that was cool too. Somehow the vintage computer table became the free booze spawn point.

The NOC guys said that this year there will be at least a 1 gbps Internet connection again (courtesy Hurricane Electric, apparently they lit fiber to the building for free after the usual WiMax host flaked), and maybe 10 gbps. Last time the whole IPv4 address space was scanned multiple times. There was of course native IPv6, being Hurricane Electric, but I don't think sufficient resources exist for scanning all of IPv6 space in a long weekend!

Booked hotel and train. Stank, you decide if you're going or not?

Finished putting my LED nametag together:

cUQgKRW.gif

Hooked it up to a 2000 mAh LiPo cell and an Adafruit charger/boost converter, seeing how long it runs on a charge.

On the train, headed across north/central VA. Anyone else going?

I'm thinking of going. When is it?

5 hours ago, I-baLL said:

I'm thinking of going. When is it?

made me lol