Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
eth0enigma

Linux on an original Xbox

10 posts in this topic

Does anyone have an original Xbox running Linux? I'm looking to make a small router/file server out of an old Xbox and was wondering what distribution other people were using?

-E

would look at the distros specifically made, or how exactly those are made which probably can do since one of them is gentoo based, would assume may require specific kernel patches or something probably for the nvidia etc..is like xebian gentoox xdsl somethin..

i'm looking into xdsl, i've run xbmc on a xbox before but just as a media center front end. It should be interesting to see a full blown desktop on an xbox.

I tried this and it needs to be a certain serial number to work. There are different releases. Mine was an original but was patched to prevent different o/s installs in it.  Someone discovered a way with a security vuln in a certain game -  but it was a lot hoops to jump through for installing linux.

Just do your research and follow guides. LOL

Thanks i have a hacked version already running xbmc, i wanted to put a full linux distro on it to see what kind of performance i can get out of the machine if i can run a small file server off it's more desirable because i can replace one of my older bigger form factor servers.

-E

only problem i would assume  and why i recommended looking into how they got the kernel configured, is besides that it is native x86 obviously, being a p3 coppermine based chip, but these distros may have fallen by the wayside given the age of the platform, i mean the original dsl hasnt had an official release since 2008, cept a release candidate in 2012. so if you wanted modern may have to build something, that limits you more

Cool thing about Linux is source is released for most everything. I guess any distro would just involve building/compiling your own kernel (have fun - but possible).

I think the original has a P3 almost 1Ghz and about 64 - 128 MB memory with a 10 or 100Mbs NIC.  So... for home or maybe small office, yes. For corporate - hell no way.. I've ran a PHP dev box on a old AMD single core about comparable (i think a K5) with a P1 and 500GB of memory and 10Mbps NIC. The CPU would not allow anything beyond compiling Apache, PHP, etc.... (unless one was very patient). There are memory mods as well for the original xbox (unsure about working with Linux) - check out ebay they were all over for a while.

Take away X, and it would be doable. But you could just get a NAS for less than $200.00 You could get a memory mod and have box doable for LAMP dev with some work, though. :-)

Yeah for this purpose it would be home use, just trying to find some use of a small form factor, but your point is valid 32 bit support going to have it's limits of modern distros.

nah because its standard x86 32bit, you should be able to run any of those distros that still ship 32bit, its just you need special firmware/drivers for the whatever hardware that isn't in regular computers

Biggest problems: 1) NIC 2) BIOS 3) graphics display.  I think most I saw were headless and running VNC, come to think of it.

It sounds like a fun project. Wish I had time do stuff like that still.