systems_glitch

ZFS on Linux Adventure

3 posts in this topic

So a while ago, I built a FreeBSD file server using ZFS's RAIDZ (comparable to RAID 5):

http://www.binrev.com/forums/index.php/topic/46048-raidz-4tb-box-build-thread/

That's been mostly working fine since then, and I've deployed a few very similar setups. I really like ZFS's bit rot protection -- you can "scrub" your array periodically and check for file degradation, which the scrub will automatically fix. That's really the killer feature for me, since the other features can be achieved with existing tools on other OSes/filesystems.

When I built the box, I looked at ZFS on Linux (http://zfsonlinux.org/), which is backed by Lawrence Livermore National Labs, as an alternative to running FreeBSD just for ZFS. It wasn't where it needed to be back then, but I recently decided to give it a try on my main Slackware desktop.

Installation was super easy, just build the SlackBuilds for SPL (the Solaris Porting Layer, which maps Solaris kernel APIs to Linux kernel APIs) and ZFSonLinux. Both built with no configuration changes. I plugged in a ZFS-formatted external USB backup drive, and the kernel immediately loaded its new ZFS module. The ZFS tools are the same as they are under FreeBSD, but I did have to "force" the import of the external drive since it was created with an older revision of ZFS (still running FreeBSD 9.x on my fileserver).

So far everything is fine. I scrubbed the drive with no errors, and transfer rates are limited by the drive. I'm going to continue testing for a while, but if all goes well, my workstation will probably get rebuilt with ZFS at least for its main storage, if not for the OS root.

Anyone else using ZFS on Linux?

I have thought about this, but just too many hoops to jump through. Then decided FreeNAS wold serve my purpose. LoL

Let us know how it goes - wish this was native in Linux.

Edited by tekio

I plugged in another external drive with nothing important on it and created a new zpool on it. It's a FireWire 400 enclosure so I'm limited by that, but it's been working fine. I moved some of my larger project working directories on it, so that it will see a little heavier use. So far, so good!

As far as not being native on Linux...it does suck that it can't ship with the kernel, but the installation is so easy, at least on Slackware, that I don't feel it's a real inconvenience.