Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
systems_glitch

DC Supply for Rack Gear

5 posts in this topic

I finally built a DC supply for the rack gear that requires wall warts/plug packs/power bricks:

http://www.glitchwrks.com/2016/01/03/rack-dc-supply

I don't like using wall warts with rack equipment as they usually take up two receptacles in the power strip. Also barrel connectors suck, so everything is getting switched over to pluggable terminal blocks. I gutted an old linear test equipment power supply and used the enclosure to house the new DC supply. The eventual goal is to include a single-board computer running Linux or OpenBSD to allow for remote power cycling and power consumption monitoring via Munin and/or SNMP. For now, it's just a switchmode supply in a box :D

You could always put short extension cords between the wallwart and the power strip. Works for me anyways.

A rackmount DC supply would or should have been on the WIBNI list at the school. In the server rack they had wallwarts on extension cords all over. It was a mess.

I'm thinking I will probably add direct DC battery failover at some point, too. Should be a lot more efficient than running on the regular AC inverter in the UPS. Everyone needs their own lead-acid battery plant at home, right?

would think a high efficiency regulator to go from 24~v>12v and whatever else you would need should be at least twice as efficient as a inverter setup ups. but a decently made powersupply should be more efficient than the wallwart ones anyways :P

The modular supply gets significantly less hot than the power brick that came with the router chassis, so I'm guessing you're right about it being a lot more efficient! The little Mean-Well supplies actually have rated efficiencies at different load points, unlike mystery bricks from China. I'll know for sure once I finish Phase 2 and get load monitoring online.