Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kc9pke

How does the operator apparently know my LATA?

9 posts in this topic

I've op diverted recently a couple times to an 800 ANAC to test, it, as expected, passed the charge ANI of the call as the NPA of the operator services tandem (in my case, 260). I tried to have the operator do a call to a non-toll-free ANAC, nowhere in this state obviously, and she transferred me to a "long distance operator"  (the "operator" happened to be an MCI IVR to use a calling card or make a collect call... hrm) to do it.

How did she know the destination was outside my LATA?

If you call to toll-free numbers the person your calling has to pay for the call, so it doesn't cost the operator any money to just patch you through. But on the other hand, if you call a non toll-free number, You'd be responsible for payment, which is why that happened I think.. Does it work when you dial local non toll-frees?

Edited by phonetrovert

If you call to toll-free numbers the person your calling has to pay for the call, so it doesn't cost the operator any money to just patch you through. But on the other hand, if you call a non toll-free number, You'd be responsible for payment, which is why that happened I think.. Does it work when you dial local non toll-frees?

Yeah, numbers within my LATA, the operator will process the call happily

Edited by kc9pke

From a business/regulatory standpoint, I'm pretty sure that your local phone company and local operator is never your long distance company.  Sure, you might have AT&T for your local phone and as your LD company, but the local and LD divisions are two separate companies.  As such, when you dial 0 and get your local operator, they can only help you with calls inside your LATA.  When you wanted something outside of your LATA, they connected you to MCI, which I'm guessing is your pre-subscribed LD carrier.  You could check by dialing 1-700-555-4141.

Your phone number is passed to the operator so they can easily know if you're trying to have them dial something out of your LATA.  Only your area code is sent when you op-divert, but all the information necessary to identify you is available to the operator; it just doesn't get sent out.

Edited by JmanA9

From a business/regulatory standpoint, I'm pretty sure that your local phone company and local operator is never your long distance company.  Sure, you might have AT&T for your local phone and as your LD company, but the local and LD divisions are two separate companies.  As such, when you dial 0 and get your local operator, they can only help you with calls inside your LATA.  When you wanted something outside of your LATA, they connected you to MCI, which I'm guessing is your pre-subscribed LD carrier.  You could check by dialing 1-700-555-4141.

Your phone number is passed to the operator so they can easily know if you're trying to have them dial something out of your LATA.  Only your area code is sent when you op-divert, but all the information necessary to identify you is available to the operator; it just doesn't get sent out.

I see. I haven't been able to access a non-payphone POTS line for eons, so I can't dial 00 to see where that leads me. I do know that *0 works on the lone ILEC-owned payphone and the private COCOTs in my town, that *00 causes all of them to throw a locally generated error at me if I try, that 0 and 00 alone are programmed to dial an 800 number of a shady company that only does collect calls. Even more disappointingly, the only entities I know locally that actually have a POTS line are business owners that post notices near phones saying FOR EMPLOYEE USE ONLY.

Edit: I get Pat Fleet thanking me for using Frontier Communications as my LD provider when I dial 700-555-4141. This is an ex-Verizon-ex-GTE area

Edited by kc9pke

If you really want to use a POTS line, ask the business owner if you could use their phone to make a quick local call.  Emphasis on quick and local because the two things they'd likely hesitate over are the length of the call and whether or not it's local.  If they're nice enough to let you, I hope you'll be nice enough to actually keep it quick and don't dial any LD calls that complete!  Don't ruin the phun for other phreaks in your area ;)

In some areas (like here), standard business lines are billed by the message unit, so all calls including local numbers cost money.  Granted, it's only a few cents for untimed band 1 calls.

So you're getting the Frontier recording from a non-Frontier COCOT?  COCOTs usually don't have a pre-subscribed LD carrier just in case some wiseacre should defeat the oh-so-intelligent payphone software.

So you're getting the Frontier recording from a non-Frontier COCOT?  COCOTs usually don't have a pre-subscribed LD carrier just in case some wiseacre should defeat the oh-so-intelligent payphone software.

Wait... never mind that. I get a Frontier local operator when I do *0. It's been a few years since I touched a non-payphone, now those lines would thank me for using Frontier Communications for LD service when I dialed 700-555-4141. I need to get some change to try that number from all the payphones in town, don't I..

At least when you use inward operators, there'll always be something showing up on the TOPS tandem saying what NPA-NXX you dialed. I'm assuming the same (or a similar) concept applies here. I'm surprised you get Pat, though. From a Frontier switch in western Indiana, you get some switchman or something on a 5ESS tandem thanking you for using Frontier LD. Might be a good indication they have more then one toll switch in the state.

At least when you use inward operators, there'll always be something showing up on the TOPS tandem saying what NPA-NXX you dialed. I'm assuming the same (or a similar) concept applies here. I'm surprised you get Pat, though. From a Frontier switch in western Indiana, you get some switchman or something on a 5ESS tandem thanking you for using Frontier LD. Might be a good indication they have more then one toll switch in the state.

I know that from my hometown the operator services tandem is NPA 260, Fort Wayne, IN which is 90 miles away from my town