Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ThoughtPhreaker

Free calls to France

6 posts in this topic

So in the latest round of disaster tourism-esque promotions, a bunch of the carriers are offering free calls to France! Or at least, some were, others still are. The promotions have been surprisingly short this time. After the attack on Friday, I sorta assumed everyone would wait until Monday to issue a press release.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/11/15/verizon-t-mobile-sprint-and-skype-also-offer-free-or-reduced-cost-calls-to-france-after-paris-attacks/

So I'm not sure what to make of today. For one, I don't speak any French, but this is the first time I've dialed around a range, and hit a bunch of vanilla IVRs that sound so nice. Hell, even the sketchy room monitor thing sounds nice. I'll take it a step further and say I've probably lost my right to mock French culture.

33-9693-60001 - Non-standard error message

33-9693-60003 - Orange (France Telecom) International Help Desk. Pressing 1 gets you a Nortel PBX with a British tone/American timing ring.

33-9693-60005 - Announcement

33-9693-64000 - Other non-standard error message. The recording you hear at the end comes from a 4ESS; the ones with newer announcement machines have the same international CBCAD as N4Es, sans the pieced together ID at the end. That final click there (and on a few other calls) is my DMS-100 tearing down the three-way trunk. It's about as loud in real life, and has come in handy more times then I can count.

33-9693-66000 - IVR

33-9693-67000 - IVR. The aLaw/muLaw companding gives the bass guitar kind of a nice (but totally inappropriate, imho) grungy sound.

33-1-5537-9902 - Room monitor. The start of the call was cut off, but the thingie in question answers with a few bursts of 1477 hertz.

These were all recorded directly into a T1 or something like it, so it's almost exactly what you'd hear straight from the network.

Edited by ThoughtPhreaker

33-1-5537-9909 is a carrier of some sort..I think? Cuts out pretty quickly..

9902 will keep beeping after 4 digits, what's that about?

I get the following message for 33-0-00000-000.. "The international number you have dialed is not in service in the country you are calling, Please check the number and dial again C/J/S" And it is preceeded by 2 tones, a lower tone (no idea) and a higher one (maybe 2000's, lower than 2600 hz), I'll record it..

33-31337-31337, 33-31337-80085 seems to be some kind of test number? responds to DTMF...

Edit: Seems it's anything starting with 31337 apparently.

Those last few 31337 numbers I might be mistaken on, since I have no dial tone anymore..

Edited by phonetrovert

The French are very elite.

LOL..Maybe that's the reason my dial tone went out completely (still gone) and my number goes to busy, and this happened right as I was calling those numbers.. :unsure:

fios sucks for phone service.

I really can't say what what going on with those 31337 numbers, as I have no idea what it was I was hearing, Which was a constant higher tone which responds to DTMF. Since then, Havent been able to call france anymore for the time being..

I guess(?) 33-31337-80085 should be 33-3-1337-8008 (only one elite boob) and 3133 for the other number, as per the French numbering format, but I can't verify one way or the other. I can't say for sure what it was I was hearing right immediately as my phone service went totally out, but if I recall correctly, it was preceded by a French style ring, so I think I was connecting to France right before everything went to shit for me.

Edited by phonetrovert