port_forwarder

How to find the best distro for you

3 posts in this topic

I'm looking for a website I once bookmarked but lost.  It had a quiz you could take which would find the best distro for you.  I saw it posted here once a few years back but I did a search and can't find it.

Anyone have the link to it or something like it?  I know this is probably a shot in the dark but I thought I'd ask.................

I'd go to http://distrowatch.com/and check out each one. Load each in a VM, and update them. Most distro's will run a lot better with all updates applied.

things to look for:

- your needs. Are you wanting a production server? Running it on a laptop? Using it to learn Linux? Or a specialized, niche use?

- Support community. The bigger the better, open-source thrives with a larger following.

- Package management system. Any good distro will have a well documented package management system that is robust with a decent repository.

- How well maintained is the distro? There is a lot to be said for the veterans: Fedora Core, Ubuntu, Mint. Arch, and Debian.

Only you can decide what is best for you.

Some personal suggestions from experience:

Best hardware support out of the box (and easy to use): Mint, Debian, Arch, Fedora Core, Ubuntu, Centos (desktop)

Best for a production server: Centos, Ubuntu (server, not desktop), Debian

Best for learning Linux: Gentoo, Debian, Arch

All in all: I think Debian is a great choice for a new Linux user. It really hits every aspect. But you should try for yourself to see which is best for you. :-)