Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ThoughtPhreaker

Exploding the Phone from a Dialogic board

9 posts in this topic

Hey! So I've been away from home for a few days. The last minute before I headed off, I modified some crappy demo code for a Dialogic board to play Exploding the Phone! Among a few other things. This is what they look like if you're curious - http://www.d9commerce.com/api-connect/image_store/20150506/4474-7220-20150506-8649.JPG. Despite the card being relatively new (2007ish), it really is as freaking huge as you can get for a PCI card. The weird DSP+CPU it has on board probably has a lot to do with that. I have plans to eventually move it into a server and maybe run Audix on it (thanks, Glitch!), but I kinda suspect making it fit in a 1U case will be like doing a C-section. Only, y'know, with a hacksaw. 

Anyway, if you want to hear it - or "audit" it or whatever, by all means, give it a call. 800-615-4306. When it starts playing a greeting, press 1337 through 1347 for individual chapters, 1337 starting with the foreword. It'll hang up after it's done, but they're long enough that it doesn't particularly matter. 1348 through 1350 are a few other nice things. That being said, though:

- I'll probably send the number somewhere else on the twentieth.

- This is a legitimate toll-free. It's a trial account, so rack up the payphone surcharges and sit on it all day if that's your thing, but it wasn't obtained by any sort of shady means. That being said though, if you don't feel like diverting, I will get your number. I'll probably look at the traffic summary for like five seconds and shrug it off, but if you're not okay with that, beware. Or something.

-  It doesn't go through the highest quality carrier, so you might occasionally get a route that makes your DTMF bounce. Sorry.

Tried calling in, went to VMB. Sounds cool though I'll try again soon.

Edited by phonetrovert

Right; enter extensions at the voicemail greeting. This doubles as a halfassed VMB.

I got it now! Nice. I dont recall ever hearing the recording on 1350 either, all of the recordings I have heard from him were from the 70s, pre red box.

HAHA a Sheraton in Blue Ball, PA.

Edited by phonetrovert

Blue Ball, PA is a real town, but there ain't no Sheraton there.  Among other great PA place names, there's also Intercourse!  And you thought the Amish had no sense of humor.....

The recording on 1350 is one of Evan's newer recordings:

https://soundcloud.com/evan-doorbell/compliantcocot2

Blue Ball, PA is a real town, but there ain't no Sheraton there.  Among other great PA place names, there's also Intercourse!  And you thought the Amish had no sense of humor.....

The recording on 1350 is one of Evan's newer recordings:

https://soundcloud.com/evan-doorbell/compliantcocot2

I gotta admit Im surprised they do have a sense of humor..

This was a cool number, let me know if it ever goes back up.

Edited by phonetrovert

Thanks! Glad everyone liked it. The toll-free credit went way faster then I thought it did, I dunno if it it even lasted to the 20th. In any case though, phonetrovert, you might want to listen to the Dom Tuffy tapes. That line about male operators occasionally gets quoted to inward ops :D .

The trouble with doing something like this on a regular basis is, aside from the Dialogic card answering the DMS-100 line I normally use, it's hard to find a good balance between a reasonable level of anonymity, something that isn't clearly illegal, and something that won't add annoying things like comfort noise or latency. Since my internet travels through space right now, voip in particular is out; the latency is way too annoying to be usable. It might be worth throwing a local CLEC a few bucks a month to forward a number to me.

Anyway, here's the service that gives you trial toll-free numbers. They will occasionally ask you to call and verify the account, so, er, maybe get to know your local relay op? http://tollfreeforwarding.com

Edited by ThoughtPhreaker

I have a few chapters of Evan Doorbell reading Exploding the Phone on ProjectMF as well. +1 630-485-2995, seize trunk with 2600Hz, then KP-200-ST. Subsequent chapters at 201 - 206.

df99

This is up again for today only if anybody wants to play with it. It's a bit of a work in progress, so let me know if you have any problems. 855-357-0398, press *,1111 when the greeting answers. 1 and 3 go back and forth between sound files, 4 and 6 seek back and forth by several seconds. There's some other stuff on there on some other relatively predictable codes. Feel free to explore if you want.

There's also a significant bit of latency on there from the toll-free, and it makes it kinda annoying to use. Sorry, I can't do anything about that. Also, it'll go to voicemail if the number is busy. Again, that's just the toll-free being stupid.

Edited by ThoughtPhreaker