Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
phonetrovert

Protel Payphone codes

5 posts in this topic

In the NY subway all of the remaining payphones I've encountered are COCOTs and protels.

Today I tried dialing *#98 on one of them which did not yield anything other than an "error 59" (if I remember correctly), there were a set of phones in one station which when I dialed *#98, ended up going offline for a while and when I picked the receiver up I heard a slow beeping sound with faint DTMF tones in the background (These phones have since been adjusted not to allow one to do this). Does anyone have any insight as to what I was hearing?

I also tried dialing *#69 and got "error 32" on every 4 digit pin combination I tried until I hit "0000", *#69 didn't do anything other than drop me into a dialtone (still couldnt dial local numbers, same restrictions etc.).

I'd really love to hear some more information on what these protel codes do as I've only been able to encounter sparse information on the internet regarding the subject.

==EDIT

Ive been perusing some of the protel manuals on payphone411.com, I haven't seen any reference to *#98 in the manuals I've checked out, and I've seen reporting codes for *#68, *#66 but not *#69.. This leaves me with 2 questions, the first is whether or not Im mistaking *#98 with *#68, and the second is why *#69 would drop me into a dialtone (and not error 56 or 59), since I havent seen it documented anywhere. Any info would be greatly appreciated! I will also try a few things out myself when I get to the phones on Tuesday. Wednesday.

Edited by phonetrovert

I think when the COCOT just hangs up and picks up the phone again like that, it means the feature is inactive or something. I have an ancient Protel phone from the eighties in my house, and *#2, usually reserved for calling back into the reporting modem, will do just that. The older (and possibly newer) Protel phones are based on a 6502 microcontroller made by California Microdevices (G65SC151) pretty much exclusively for telephony. Among other things, it has an integrated DTMF generator, and can pass for a 300 baud modem. There's a three pin interface on the board which according to some random patent on the internet, was used to unlock features.

So unless they just like, didn't know how to do it yet or something, I think we're both coming up on the same obstacle.

I was definitely confusing *#98 (which doesnt do anything) with #*68.

According to this protel manual, http://payphone411.com/proteldocuments/310_7000Manual.pdf#*68 is a manual battery charge, which basically takes the phone out of service for about 2 minutes. The phone says "Thank you" (Another says "Please Wait" if Im not mistaken) and yields silence with some faint DTMF tones (I was mistaken before apparently, as this time I did not hear any slow beeps), any of the phones Ive tried in the NY subway (so far all protels) have the same pin for manual battery charges: 0000 (*#6x requires 0000. the coin box check *#4, and reset *#5 require a different key).

*#69 did the same thing on this phone I tried today, as the other one, Like you said I guess it's an inactive feature on these phones, but it's worth noting the uniformity.

*#2 had a pin of 1111 doesnt require a pin, and it did allow me to hear  the reporting modem in the handset.

I also used *#65 to retrieve the phone number of the modem the phone dials "home" to 1-877-565-3189 (I tried calling this number from the payphone itself, and it gave me an SIT tone, and an amateurish recording saying something along the lines of the access code not being valid, but from other numbers I hear a carrier).

*#66 was the same as 69, *#60 (I think) gave me "error 0"

Edited by phonetrovert

trainphones.nyphonejacks.com 

this project was done a few years ago when i was still using the subway to commute to work.. I listed all the numbers that i obtained as well as photographs of (mostly) nyc subway payphones.. most numbers were obtained by ANI but some were taken from sticker on phone, usually if there was no dial tone... 

verizon got out of the payphone business around the time that this project was going on so some of the phones were verizon phones on that site and some were after from whatever company bought their payphone business.. 

not sure if the info or payphone directories on that site are useful for whatever you are trying to do, or if they are even relevant any longer.. 

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-12_lgroeEwk/VBt5NJCRBKI/AAAAAAAAPAM/bkCKZ3u_JTU/w311-h553-no/20140918_202029.jpg

This is from your site, one of the exact protels I was messing around with here.     Could also be one of the ones they took out to put one of those bullshit information kiosks in.

Im not trying to do anything in particular, just learning what I can about these things while they're still around. (btw, the numbers listed on those phones in 36th street, and the number programmed into

the phone is a 718-788 number, but it's out of service when I call it, the number on your site gives me the phone's modem Im assuming (I hear some kind of carrier).

The payphones in the subway are run by that company with red and white plastic infomation cards (I think PTS), they're all protels, and then theres the company with blue information cards (probably Titan) that runs almost all the COCOTs above ground if Im not mistaken, all of those phones are definitely not protels (at least from what Ive seen).

Edited by phonetrovert