JCSwishMan33

0xx Codes

5 posts in this topic

So... I'm back, for one. Heh.

Big reason I've been off-the-grid here (besides life) was I was working through a small, on-going project.

I've been dialing through the old 0xx codes, and finding that in some cases they're still being used for live operators and the like. Some also seem to be homes to possible switch recordings, older intercepts, and the like.

So find attached a PDF file with things I found while dialing through Google Voice... Yes, I know it's not preferred. I'll eventually be trying things out like Sprint Mobile, TWC, and maybe a payphone or two.

A few notes:

• These were things that I found on a consistent basis, as in I made 3-5 calls to each one, to make sure they happened each time.
  • When I refer to older intercept messages, I'm thinking about either the text (references to operator assistance) or the voice (Pat Trumbull-Fleet, or unknowns that might be 'old-school')
  • I believe (but don't have proof) that other VoIP services beyond Google Voice might be able to get these; I think anything that routes through Bandwidth.com might have a good chance to get these. But YMMV.

If anyone wants me to catch recordings for any of the items I found, let me know!

0xx List.pdf

So... I'm back, for one. Heh.

Holy shit!

I believe (but don't have proof) that other VoIP services beyond Google Voice might be able to get these; I think anything that routes through Bandwidth.com might have a good chance to get these. But YMMV.

I've heard that trunk too on some other services. I think what's going on is Level 3 has an interexchange carrier trunk to AT&T - without the usual dialing restrictions they impose on peoples' phone lines. So bandwidth.com will probably cycle through all their routes before finally finding one that'll complete the call; the AT&T route via Level 3's switch probably being the only one. Very rarely, you can get this same route via IDT, but your mileage definitely varies there. Their routes change pretty often.

Qwest/0432 has IXC trunks just like Level 3's that they'll frequently use. Unfortunately, most of the states where they're a LEC are also states they have Sonus NGS tandems in, so you can't dial 101-0432# to bypass local switch restrictions. That's also a pretty big problem, since their DMS-100s and 5Es - or at least the ones I've tried seem to consistently block 0xx traffic. Definitely check if you're ever in Qwest territory though, sometimes you'll find one of their DMS or AXE-10s, and their dialplans aren't always consistent. There are special cases, like switches that home off the Tucson (but not Phoenix), Arizona access tandem, that'll get you to one of the Qwest DMS-250s instead. In theory, you could use that to send 0xx traffic if the toll switch allows it.

The non-Worldcom MCI/0222 network blocks 0xx codes outright, even from special trunks like Vnet. Global Crossing's DEX switches too.

Some also seem to be homes to possible switch recordings, older intercepts, and the like.

So usually I'm not a big fan of automating scans, but this seems like an ideal place for something to dial all 10,000 possible numbers in an ATC. It'd probably be pretty cheap seeing as most of these don't complete except maybe on Sprint's weird ATC route. Never know, there might be something nice hiding in there :) .

Do you think there would be any here in Canada?

Lemme know if you have any luck finding ATCs there. I know they existed at one time, and maybe they still do. I've just never seen one listed anywhere.

Interesting. (208) 038-0000 routes just fine with my AT&T calling card