Johnpr555

Cain and Abel poisoning

3 posts in this topic

I just started using Cain and Abel to find IP Addresses off Xbox Live. When I poison the IPs to find who's in my party 50 Addresses come up. Is there any way I can fix this?

Are you trying to find the addresses of other players?

I've not used Cain and Abel for many many years but from what I remember, it does ARP poisoning to perform Main in the Middle attacks. It probably performs ARP sweeps to find hosts and this will only work on your LAN. Unless I'm misunderstanding Xbox Live (could happen, I don't own an Xbox, or really even play games), your XBox will be connecting to a server somewhere and so will have no knowledge of the IP addresses of other players. As these hosts are not part of your local network, an ARP sweep will not disclose those addresses either.

Note: everything I said could be wrong. Cain and Able could have changed since I last used it, and my assumptions about XBL could be incorrect.

As phr34kc0der mentioned, not sure X-Box allows that like Skype.

However, CAIN is the incorrect tool. You want Wireshark. ARP-Poisoning streaming traffic on the same collision-domain, on a WiFi link was not the forwarding thinking behind ARP based MITM attacks.

I'd find a way to use promiscuous mode traffic monitoring, rather that ARP spoofing. You could temporarily put the Xbox and analyzing host on a WIFi link with no encryption (or WEP) then go into promiscuous mode, and look at the traffic.

Edited by tekio