phonetrovert

toneloc and bluebeep download

4 posts in this topic

Rather than start a new thread, I've decided to comment on this with a followup;

Yes, ToneLoc and BlueBEEP load up in DOSBOX. What interested me the most is that DOSBOX contains an ability to emulate a modem in some fashion so you could play DOS games that might require a modem function.

Following the instructions from here- http://breakintochat.com/blog/2013/04/17/telnet-to-bbs-within-dosbox-emulator/

I was able to correctly configure ToneLoc to detect the DOSBOX modem, and surprisingly it did not return any kind of modem error. It began working and dialing, but I was so puzzled at my success I thought I should take a step back and wonder if this was really dialing to the outside world or not, as I didn't really configure a dial list at all since I was just tinkering. BlueBEEP seemed to functioning and dialing correctly as well without returning any kind of modem error, I also did not set up anything for a real scan, just testing to see if it found the emulated modem. THC-SCAN 2.0 did not detect any modems at all. I hope someone more practiced than I can delve deeper into this and see if and what the modem emulation functionality is of DOSBOX.

The emulation is very rudimentary.  It basically creates a virtual serial port to the DOS side and ties it to some Telnet code (listener and client).

https://sourceforge.net/p/dosbox/code-0/3843/tree/dosbox/trunk/src/hardware/serialport/softmodem.cpp

It's likely that THC-SCAN is using hardware handshaking (RTS/CTS) that the emulation doesn't accomplish.

I think it would be worth mentioning that ToneLoc works in the windows xp command prompt (I was using 32bit windows, probably wont work w/o dosbox under newer 64 bit windows).  I was also using a UsRobotics pci Winmodem in that PC.