Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
systems_glitch

Dedicated vs Colo Hosting

4 posts in this topic

We're getting ready to move and will probably be renting for a year or so. Since I probably won't be able to build a dedicated server room like we have at the current house, and I don't want a screaming 1U server sitting in my office, I'm looking at moving some of the stuff I host at home off-site. Started looking at dedicated hosting, and wow is it expensive for what you get!

I'm looking for 4-8 cores and 8+ GB RAM, disk space doesn't really matter since anything in that range will suit my needs. I'd prefer a dedicated Slackware box since I'll be using it as a VM host (LXC/Docker, VirtualBox) and Slackware is my distro of choice. That in itself really limits available hosting providers!

I can pick up a 1U 8-core Xeon box with sufficient RAM and hard drive for around $200. Does anyone have experience in colo'ing something like that, and care to share prices?

Try to find a smaller ISP, if any are still around. I worked for a mom & pop ISP a while ago. They didn't keep the servers in locked cages. But charged under $120 per month for clients to co-locate a box on a T-3 link.  It was pretty relaxed as far as letting clients in, because we didn't a gazillion clients. Secure enough that I wouldn't worry about equipment getting stolen and relaxed enough for a tech to let come in and work on your box (if it's local).

Just use encrypted connections. Some of the techs liked to play around with Wireshark on the network though. 

*T-1

I put in a RFQ with a friend who works for a local tier 2 ISP/colo company. Looks like it's going to be $50/month for a 1U *or* 2U box plus $25/mbit/month 95% bandwidth. That's way lower than I thought it was going to be! I just ordered an 8 core Xeon, 24 GB RAM 2U box to colo.