Dialtone

What does everyone scan from?

13 posts in this topic

As the title really, what are people scanning numbers from? I used to do the 0800 numbers (UK toll free) from different pay phones around the area. What is everyone else using for free phone numbers and normal numbers? VOIP? Mobiles with call plan? What?

I use a SIP line, you can get test numbers for free from most providers.

I just use my POTS line for the most part. Occasionally, calling cards too for international. They're ideal for that sort of thing since a lot of CO numbers don't go offhook. Finding them in the first place might well end up costing you more money then the actual scan.

360-89x, a 5ESS in ORCHWA01DS0.

It's a couple miles more or less south of my place. (Yeah, I'm kind of out in the sticks.)

On my end of the line is either a Pacific Northwest Bell '56/'71 WE 500, '82 2500 or my mom's old brown Stromberg Carlson SC2500DPM that United gave her when she finally had DTMF "service" added to our old step line sometime in the early 80s. The DTMF fones are the ones I work with for the most part. Scanning a block on a rotary 500 takes too long.

That WE 500, incidentally, is where the 425B network unit shown in my user picture lives (http://www.binrev.com/forums/uploads/profile/photo-53234.png).

Yeah, I scan from my POTS line too.  I'm working on a wardialer system thinger, but that's not up to scratch yet.  I'll probably post a topic here when it is in a shareable state.

I have a Time Warner VoIP line I use occasionally. Mostly I use Google Hangouts and my Sprint cell service.

Still pondering getting C-Link / Windstream POTS service.

Oh, and the random payphone I still happen to find here and there.

you are missing out on a LOT by going thru google voice/hangouts... 

you are missing out on a LOT by going thru google voice/hangouts...

I'm sure there is, but I do get a lot of the unsupervised audio. They don't even do the fake superimposed ring anymore. The routings pretty well suck, but I do get a little fun out of it.

I'm sure there is, but I do get a lot of the unsupervised audio. They don't even do the fake superimposed ring anymore. The routings pretty well suck, but I do get a little fun out of it.

I think they still do it, just not for that app you're using to place calls from. I took a look earlier, and it looks like all the normal options are holding the status quo.

From my understanding, Google Voice sends all their traffic to bandwidth.com . Even among the budget providers, they're pretty much known as the sort of carrier who'll negotiate routes in the back of a parking lot and uses wet string backhaul.

Speaking of shitty carriers though, you should've seen IDT when they were changing their routes like, every other week. For all I know, they started doing it again, but it was really funny to try calling rural Iowa, and wind up on a permanent signal recording from a switch in like, Florida or something.

a few years back i was using a pay-per-minute net10 phone, which was great because you could see your balance directly on the display, and you weren't billed for unsuped calls, so i would easily be able to tell what calls had supe and what ones didnt... 

there ARE recordings on supervised lines, I came across some when i was scanning around in the past... so you might just be getting those... 

I'm working on a wardialer system thinger, but that's not up to scratch yet. I'll probably post a topic here when it is in a shareable state.

Something like AUTOJAN?

How is is coming?

I'd sign up for a Sound Cloud just to get on and ask Evan if he still has his AUTOJAN disk or even a source code listing that he can post copies of but I imagine he probably has neither after this long.

I'm working on a wardialer system thinger, but that's not up to scratch yet. I'll probably post a topic here when it is in a shareable state.

Something like AUTOJAN?

How is is coming?

I'd sign up for a Sound Cloud just to get on and ask Evan if he still has his AUTOJAN disk or even a source code listing that he can post copies of but I imagine he probably has neither after this long.

I'm wanting to go the next step and figure out an AUTOJAN-style process usable for Google Voice and what-not. I would figure that it'd be possible through some sort of API, to allow for a different dialing mechanism? Not sure. Still researching. :D

I've taken to doing some pseudo-wardialing in very [i]very[/i] rural COs. Normally I try to avoid it, but it makes sense in places that have a very large amount of non-working numbers, but no obvious places test numbers. That's actually how I found those 928 numbers in the Some Numbers thread.

It's pretty crude; there's just a bash script controlling a modem that diverts to a calling card. After twenty or so seconds, it hits the key to start another call, and just keeps going indefinitely. All the logging is done by a recorder on the same line. Because of the minute count and how similar the waveforms for non-working numbers in the same exchange look (the calling card minute counter helps too), you can very quickly scroll through it and find anything that isn't vacant.

Because it's used for very specific conditions, you're really only losing ten minutes at the most aside from any test numbers.