Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bleacherz

What Linux Distro do you use (for hacking)?

48 members have voted

1. 1. where do ya fit in?

• White hat
    • Black Hat
    • Gray Hat
    • I don't wear any fukking hats.

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

5 posts in this topic

I have played around a bit with Kali Linux and it seemed OK for general purpose hacking. But what do you use and why?

Thank you for your time and interest.

Edited by bleacherz

I like Backbox. It's a little more polished than Kali. It uses a better default kernel for wireless auditing; at least with my Alfa RTL8187's.

For desktop I like Mint; It just works. For a server I like Debian Testing.

7 years ago, I'd probably be an Arc or Gentoo fan. But when time is money (and I don't get paid directly to configure Linux desktops), easy of setup and a decent set of packages combined with comparability across as much hardware as possible is king for me.

Debian, the one-size-fits-all Linux. I used to work Mandrake (mostly at Wolverine Bates' insistance) but jumped ship when that Russian company bought it out a few years ago.

20 years ago (before anybody had heard of Linux) I would have said DOS. Or Windows 3.11 but that was basically DOS with a fancier UI.

I use Arch on my laptop, but pretty much everything else runs Slackware. For running pre-canned stuff, Kali seems to be a pretty good choice, and doesn't pollute your workstation OS with stuff you might want to run only once.

It's my opinion that Slackware makes the most sense for most situations because it's stable. I'm familiar with it, which is an advantage for me. The Slackware team is quick to fix bugs and vulnerabilities, and do an excellent job of keeping their core libraries and applications reasonably up-to-date. Not bleeding edge, of course, but that's why I run Arch on my laptop!

Debian all the way, I use it for my personal boxes and in my classroom. For all my use, I am familiar with it.

Though I am looking at using Kali to teach a Pentesting class with. If the powers that be will let me teach that.