Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
whixrr

Phreaking Software for TRS-80 Model 100

14 posts in this topic

I ordered a TRS-80 Model 100 yesterday night, and I got an emulator ( http://sourceforge.net/projects/virtualt/) and I found out that you could output sound. So, like a good phreak, I tune to 2600hz, add a cool textart logo, and boom. 2600hz tone on the tip of a button. (This is for Nostalgic reasons, I dont plan on using this) But, once the TRS-80 model 100 comes, I will rewrite the program on that, and take a video.

I am new to basic programming, so it is not beautiful, but it does the trick. If any of you guys have ever done things like this, reply to this topic and tell me. I am interested in creating a DTMF Dialer software, but, the model 100's sound output is meant for creating music, not tones, so sadly, I cant just input the frequencies and assign them to each number. [ (EXAMPLE) 2600hz = 940 ]

(The model 100 will probably come on the 23.)

whixrr

[EDIT] IF ANYONE KNOWS HOW TO PLAY TWO TONES AT ONCE (using the "sound (pitch),(time)" commands, please reply.

Edited by whixrr

I had one of these, they were pretty nice for their time though the built in modem is only 300bps.

you can program in basic and assembler on them, but they only have 32k of memory.

I'd suggest getting a casette tape or optical drive for it.

I had one of these, they were pretty nice for their time though the built in modem is only 300bps.

you can program in basic and assembler on them, but they only have 32k of memory.

I'd suggest getting a casette tape or optical drive for it.

Yeah, I am probably going to purchase a cassette tape drive.  And by the way, I an new to BASIC and I want to ask you something. Do you know how to play two different tones at the same time using the "sound X,Y" command? Because I want to make a DTMF Dialer software, and I cant figure that out. But anyways.

Thanks!

whixrr

I had the original Kyocera version of the Model 100. Radio Shack bought the design from Kyocera. I had the same idea for a blue box app at the time, but found it wasn't possible.

The built-in BASIC had no provisions for polyphonic output. Furthermore, one could not just specify a frequency in Hz, but entered an integer in a 16-bit range that mapped to a specific frequency, followed by a tone duration.

Don

The Model 100 should be easy enough to add on to, if you want to build a MF generator for it.

I had the original Kyocera version of the Model 100. Radio Shack bought the design from Kyocera. I had the same idea for a blue box app at the time, but found it wasn't possible.

The built-in BASIC had no provisions for polyphonic output. Furthermore, one could not just specify a frequency in Hz, but entered an integer in a 16-bit range that mapped to a specific frequency, followed by a tone duration.

Don

I know, I made a 2600hz single tone generator for it, and 2600hz for 1/2 seconds =

10 sound 940,75

Don

I know, I made a 2600hz single tone generator for it, and 2600hz for 1/2 seconds =

10 sound 940,75

Why was it not possible?

Don

10 sound 940,75

Why was it not possible?

I can find the frequencies, but I cannot play two tones at once.

Would it be possible to use pulse width modulation to push whatever you want out of it, like on a PC speaker?

Would it be possible to use pulse width modulation to push whatever you want out of it, like on a PC speaker?

PWM would need to be done in assembly code. One normally needs hardware timers to keep track of sampling rates and such. I'd bet the clock of the old Model 100 wouldn't be high enough to get acceptable sound quality.

My old 12F683 PIC blue box needed a 20MHz CPU clock to get working tones, and the quality still was not the best.

The  Model 100 used an Intel 80C85 running at only 2.4MHz!

Don

And with the 8085, there's probably close to a 500 nS cycle time.

Does anyone know if the TELCOM dialer needs to be used with the acoustic coupler? Or can it be used with the speakers?

Thanks everyone for posting, 

keep em' comin'

I seem to recall the TELCOM dialer worked only by doing dial pulsing (loop interrupt) on the phone line connected  to the jack. No DTMF dialing at all!

I seem to recall the TELCOM dialer worked only by doing dial pulsing (loop interrupt) on the phone line connected  to the jack. No DTMF dialing at all!

Oh, Does the TELCOM dialer work with an acoustic coupler?

And, thanks for the info.

[EDIT] I recall in the manual, they say that the acoustic coupler cannot autodial. But i am not sure.

Edited by whixrr