8 posts in this topic

Are there any good toll free numbers to call from a payphone?

(Ringback, ANAC, etc)

Thanks!

-whixrr

post-55103-0-62224900-1426122386_thumb.j

Edited by whixrr

The bottom text is the printable image.

That "coin box empty code" trick is an old hoax. It makes no sense. The way a payphone works is the money you insert is held in escrow until someone answers, then it is dropped (by the coin relay) into the coin box. There is no physical way for the payphone itself to take money from the coin box and drop it out the coin return. Unlike pop machines, which have a coin magazine so they can give change, payphones cannot give change if you over deposit.

On Protel phones, you can tell the phone the coinbox is empty. *#5 and whatever four digit passcode was defined during setup. By default, it's 1111. Doesn't do anything except reset the coin counter (accessible on *#4xxxx), but it's there.

On Protel phones, you can tell the phone the coinbox is empty. *#5 and whatever four digit passcode was defined during setup. By default, it's 1111. Doesn't do anything except reset the coin counter (accessible on *#4xxxx), but it's there.

That sounds interesting, Ill have to try it sometime.

Thanks!

whixrr

Edited by whixrr

On my Ernest D3 COCOT, you can check the current and cumulative coin box totals by letting the phone auto-answer after the set number of rings and entering a DTMF code before the internal modem tone plays.

I have the phone on CNET, accessible through one of the CNET gateways.

1-762-0001

After 1 ring, the phone auto-answers. To check coin box totals, press *123456 after beep but before modem tone. Press * again for cumulative total. May or may not work over VOIP due to poor Asterisk 1.2 DTMF handling.

D.

CNET gateway for above payphone: +1 (206) 203-6610

When dial tone plays, dial: 1-762-0001

After one ring, payphone answers with a beep. IMMEDIATELY dial *123456. Phone reads back coin box total. Press * again for cumulative total. Repeat as often as desired.

If you don't dial the first * quickly enough after the beep, or if the payphone doesn't hear the DTMF, a modem answer tone will play.

D.

On my Ernest D3 COCOT, you can check the current and cumulative coin box totals by letting the phone auto-answer after the set number of rings and entering a DTMF code before the internal modem tone plays.

1-762-0001

After 1 ring, the phone auto-answers. To check coin box totals, press *123456 after beep but before modem tone. Press * again for cumulative total. May or may not work over VOIP due to poor Asterisk 1.2 DTMF handling.

D.

CNET gateway for above payphone: +1 (206) 203-6610

When dial tone plays, dial: 1-762-0001

After one ring, payphone answers with a beep. IMMEDIATELY dial *123456. Phone reads back coin box total. Press * again for cumulative total. Repeat as often as desired.

If you don't dial the first * quickly enough after the beep, or if the payphone doesn't hear the DTMF, a modem answer tone will play.

D.

1-762-0001

D.

Thats pretty cool! I tried it.