skyshark

How a computer is uniquely identified online other than MAC address

4 posts in this topic

I use Microsoft OS. For any private searches, websites, I use VPN.

I am curious to know how a computer could be uniquely  identified by some one (ISP, FBI, NSA etc) other than the computers MAC address. I tried changing SID but it was crashing my system. I know tools like OSFuscate cant fool tools like Satori which is used for OS fingerprinting.

1. Would it be possible to access the unique processor id or Hard disk id online?

2. What is the best way to hide OS information online. Any other tools other than OSFuscate?

3. How to Spoof system info online (Not spoofing MAC Address)?

4. Is there any way to change the uniqueness of my system each time before I go online each time?

5. I set my DNS server in my network adapter settings. But it reverts back to nill each time I restarts the machine. Any way to set the DNS address permanently for a network adapter - dnscrypt ?

Appreciate any help...

Edited by skyshark

Actually, the MAC address is probably not something to worry about on the Internet -- it's only useful on the local link (the network actually connected to your Ethernet or wireless card). Spoofing it as part of a multi-layered approach to privacy is good practice, though.

It's much easier to track users via unique features of their browser. The EFF has a site which demonstrates this:

https://panopticlick.eff.org/

Your DNS settings are probably getting reset when you make a DHCP request. You can usually configure the DHCP client not to do that, but it will be OS-specific.

If the NSA, FBI, CIA; or any three letter agency wanted to track you, they'd probably resort installing something on your system like "magic lantern" or whatever they called it back in the 90's. More than likely intercepting traffic at your ISP and putting it in a "special" Windows Update so you'd never suspect anything.

Just use a VPN service.

EDIT: VPN service and ghostery or an HTTP proxy to obfuscate HTTP requests.

Edited by tekio

Thanks Guys, Any answer to my other doubts...