5 posts in this topic

I'll preface this by saying, I have little to no computer programming skills (I guess that's how hacking is done).  I do however have a unique history that has made me suspicious of being hacked and lax security on my devices because of naivety.

So, I believe that my facebook account may have been hacked, my gmail, and possibly my phone.  Are there tell-tale signs of this, and if so, how might I be able to provide evidence of such intrusion if devices remain functional (although hindered) and no theft has taken place?  Or do I just have a virus?

Also, if odd things occurred in the past, is there a timeline for going back and finding the culprits?  And might there be "e-investigators" out there willing to go on a cyber hunt?  If so, where would one find them?

Not trying to sound paranoid here, but I'm just curious and thought I'd ask the experts.

I believe GMail can provide your login history, don't know about Facebook. Unless significant monetary/intellectual property/whatever damages have been caused, you're not likely to get law enforcement interested in helping you, even if you can find a suspect source of an attack. Your best bet is probably notifying the service(s) you think were affected, since they have departments for dealing with account compromise.

A virus/malware is far more likely, though it's also possible that a virus infection has resulted in compromised accounts. If you think your accounts have been compromised by a virus/malware, use a machine that you're certain is clean (or a live CD/USB distro) and change *all* passwords. Personally, when it comes to machines that I suspect are compromised, I do a full disk erase and OS reinstall -- scorched earth is the only way to be sure.

suspicious of being hacked

So, I believe that my facebook account may have been hacked, my gmail, and possibly my phone.

You mean "hijacked" or "intruded", not "hacked".

Facebook did show logs for unregistered logins. I'm not seeing that any longer. However, you can tune security settings to alert you.

1) Check login notifications.

2) Login approvals

3) De-register EVERY "trusted" or known device/browser.

After that, it will alert you via text and email the next time anyone logs into your facebook. Be sure to delete EVERY known and trusted device or the intruder can just detective your security settings if they put themselves as trusted.

2015_03_06_09_24_07_Security_Settings.pn

Edited by tekio