ThoughtPhreaker

Nortel Millennium in demo mode

13 posts in this topic

So a friend just sent a video to me which kinda made my head explode a little;

Anybody else wondering what's going on in this picture? Or all 23 or whatever per second? Something tells me this isn't a Millennium hooked into the Quortech hivemind.

That's pretty cool, I read something about the demo firmware some time ago. Gotta find out how this guy got it.

We need to find some op codes!

Alright, I have some questions and theories on Millenium Payphones. I am in the 206 ac (Washington,Seattle).  I have not tried any of these things on the desktop payphones as in this post. I am used to free standing payphones. (in picture)

Can you use Millenium payphones as DTMF decoders? (using the screen as a monitor and playing the DTMF tone into the handset mic?)

I have a belief that the Millennium payphone's dial tone is fake. I think this because every 5 seconds, a automated voice says "Please Insert Coin or Card" etc

(This may be difficult to understand, but you will if you try it.) I also belive that the DTMF tones that you press are not controlling the actual line. I believe this because when you dial, then wait for the call, you hear the DTMF (that you dialed by hand) digits dialing faster, (by a machine) 

Also, I have found out that when you dial 0 (operator) and wait, the machine doesn't play the 0 DTMF tone, it plays a longer number to call the operator. 

post-55103-0-29275300-1427847460_thumb.j

Can you use Millenium payphones as DTMF decoders? (using the screen as a monitor and playing the DTMF tone into the handset mic?)

Once you are in a call, they can decode TTY-text, so they should be able to also decode DTMF.

I have a belief that the Millennium payphone's dial tone is fake. I think this because every 5 seconds, a automated voice says "Please Insert Coin or Card" etc

That is correct - it is fake.

(This may be difficult to understand, but you will if you try it.) I also belive that the DTMF tones that you press are not controlling the actual line. I believe this because when you dial, then wait for the call, you hear the DTMF (that you dialed by hand) digits dialing faster, (by a machine)

That is correct, too. Between you punching in the number and the phone dialing, a lot can actually happen: For example the phone making a modem-connection to the NCC to get the rate, etc.

Also, I have found out that when you dial 0 (operator) and wait, the machine doesn't play the 0 DTMF tone, it plays a longer number to call the operator.

You can programm the phones to do pretty much every thing you want... Besides 0, almost all N11-numbers for (except 911) are just "aliases" to local phone numbers... And sometimes, they even alias local phone numbers (think of 411 -> 555-1212 -> XXX-555-1212 to treat every "request for information"-call at the same point of contact).

Adding another video of one of my two phones in demo-mode... Nothing exciting, everyone move along... ;-)

I am in the 206 ac (Washington,Seattle).

That area code brings back memories of happier (or at least more interesting) times...

OK, not exactly "demo-mode" but a first step on the long way to having our own fake Millennium-Manager

The source is not yet public - it would be quite useless right now... The thing can only set the current time ;-) But it will be published as soon as it is useful. And as soon as I cleaned the code up - I feel like I had to shoot myself multiple times in the foot to get anything done - so the code is quite messy... ;-)

The Ohio state university surplus people are always selling millennium payphones. If this hacked together millennium manager comes out, I'll actually buy one!

The Ohio state university surplus people are always selling millennium payphones. If this hacked together millennium manager comes out, I'll actually buy one!

Yes - and they are quite good prices too! If you are lucky, you can get two for under 100$... To bad, you have to pick them up directly there - that pretty much kills the deal for me.

But please don't get too excited. Sending the time to the phone has already been done by someone else in this forum (iirc, armeniki). The real challenge is to populate the configuration-tables. So don't hold your breath ;-)

I'm sorry if I'm resurrecting an old thread here. Anyone made any headway towards developing the Millennium Manager software? I recently purchased a Millennium Phone and would like to get it working.