aceranker

encryption with public key

7 posts in this topic

Would it be possible to encrypt a message.txt file using only the receiver's public key?if so, what are the consequences?

If I remember correctly Alice can encrypt a message with Bob's public key. Only Bob's private key can decrypt Alice's message (to Bob).

I believe that's how SSL works. The browser uses a public to encrypt a session key. The session key is sent to the server and used to encrypt data in the session.

Edited by tekio

Would it be possible to encrypt a message.txt file using only the receiver's public key?if so, what are the consequences?

public key encryption is v. v. slow

probably no more than a MB/s or so at best

probably more like a few hundred kB/s

and provides no more security (in fact, a lot less, since I think they are limited to encrypting no more than the key length messages safely) than something like Rabbit/Twofish + AES, which can do 10's of MB/s

As I discuss on my programming thread - you should probably also treat public keys with a level of secrecy, since there is a good chance now anyone with enough cash to invest in a large number of FPGA's and a decent GNFS can factor back to private keys.

Shared Secret is the best way to go (e.g. username/password), this can be long lived if you only use it to encrypt session public keys.

And lets face it, by and large, if a user account is compromised, the encryption used to keep it's messages safe on the wire is the least of your worries.

Edited by mSparks

I don't know a lot about encryption. I always thought public / private key (asymmetric)  encryption was just used in instances where it was impossible or not practical to coordinate a pre-shared key? 

Like exchanging SSL session keys.  Or sending a "message.txt" where the receiver is known, but might not be expecting it or chances are great coordinating the pre-shared key could be a liability. A good case (but poor example, based on what msparks pointed out) might be Snowden sending texts to a reporter? Where he was using a secure operating system, but anything on the Interwebz might be unknown.

EDIT: or to digitally sign something.

Edited by tekio

A "pre shared key" isn't quite enough.

(that programming thread: http://www.binrev.com/forums/index.php/topic/47200-ltbtbm-platform-encryption/ )

symmetric encryption is

f(M,K)=C

f(C,K)=M

therefore if you have several ciphertext's with the same key, you can rearrange the function to derive the key (think of it as just solving a load of simultanious equations)

The simplest of these are the stream ciphers, where C1 ^ C2 = K....

The work around is to share a "number used once", also called an Initialisation Vector (IV) to jigger around with the key, so no two keys are the same when two messages are encrypted.

Kind of like WEP -vs- WPA / WPA2? The same "shared secret" is used to produce a different key for each client. Perhaps I used the incorrect terminology? I thought "pre-shared key" and "shared secret" were used interchangeably? My bad.

Key = PBKDF2(passphrase, ssid, 4096, 256)

Maybe I'm out in left field. 

Kind of like WEP -vs- WPA / WPA2? The same "shared secret" is used to produce a different key for each client. Perhaps I used the incorrect terminology? I thought "pre-shared key" and "shared secret" were used interchangeably? My bad.

Key = PBKDF2(passphrase, ssid, 4096, 256)

Maybe I'm out in left field.
yeah. they are interchangable.

the problem with wep is it has a very short iv. so with enough packets you will eventually get two with the same iv. allowing you to break it.

pbkdf

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/PBKDF2

is passphrase based key derivation function

takes your key (passphrase) and salt (iv or nonce) and generates a new key.

Edited by mSparks