j3rky

Ringback and Vertical Service Codes (Verizon Brooklyn NY)

48 posts in this topic

Huh, that was a New York thing too? I thought only northern California did that. Anyway though, just exchanges assigned to that same switch.

Huh, that was a New York thing too? I thought only northern California did that. Anyway though, just exchanges assigned to that same switch.

It could be the case that it was California only, I literally saw some youtube video about it and tried it from there. I have no personal experience with or first hand knowledge of the pop-corn thing. It was just a random thing to try.

Edited by j4rky

If you call 660-879-9999 you get the same thing as my 660 recording (except lately I havent been hearing the 4ess/CS2000 but have been hearing a busy signal instead). This concludes that these wierd noises,etc. are coming from MID-MISSOURI TELEPHONE CO. and are unrelated to verizon ringbacks in NYC.

Other exchanges in the 524 LATA that have the same phone company have similar numbers.

https://www.telcodata.us/search-area-code-exchange-by-lata?lata=524

As in the 767 switch only? Or any number that has an exchange on their local switch?

As in, just the 767 exchange (nothing else on NYCMNY50DS0), and any exchange assigned to that particular CLEC switch.

Thanks for helping find out more! I really appreciate it. 767 Is strange..

Edited by j4rky

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speaking_clock#United_States

Maybe this is one of those throwbacks to the old system... Wondering if the whole exchange in some areas might just be set up some weird way.

Some findings of my own:

POPCORN dialed just like that gives me a CBCAD, not from my switch.

1-440-POPCORN is the same, including same voice... 440-767 is apparently a non-existent exchange.

1-216-POPCORN gives SIT, disconnected number... 216-767 is a DMS-100, SHHGOH92DS1... Which has a tandem, CLEVOH620GT.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speaking_clock#United_States

Maybe this is one of those throwbacks to the old system... Wondering if the whole exchange in some areas might just be set up some weird way.

Some findings of my own:

POPCORN dialed just like that gives me a CBCAD, not from my switch.

1-440-POPCORN is the same, including same voice... 440-767 is apparently a non-existent exchange.

1-216-POPCORN gives SIT, disconnected number... 216-767 is a DMS-100, SHHGOH92DS1... Which has a tandem, CLEVOH620GT.

It might be a throwback to the old system, but as ThoughtPhreaker pointed out POPCORN might have only been for California, I'm not sure. I was hoping someone here had some insight 'cause Im stumped. It only makes things more unclear that only some  767-26XX's go though as normally dialed, others give me the area code and number error.

Edited by j4rky

Back in the days in the 516 area code we dialed 660-xxxx got a return dial tone hit the flash hook and heard a loud tone. Than we would hang up and it would ring back. This was 25 years ago though lol. Manadatory 10 digit dialing most likely would have you dial 660-xxx-xxxx but because this is an special ring back number it might allow you to dial 7 digits.

958 use to read back your anac.

xxx-xxx-99xx in the NY area is used for telephone test numbers. xxx-xxx-9970 gives a busy signal and xxx-xxx-9901 reads back the area which the central office is located, switch type and prefixs the co serves in most area codes and prefix in New York. Other things we found in the 99xx exchanges are test tones, loops, modems, annoucement messages.

Hope this helps!

burntkid

Back in the days in the 516 area code we dialed 660-xxxx got a return dial tone hit the flash hook and heard a loud tone. Than we would hang up and it would ring back. This was 25 years ago though lol. Manadatory 10 digit dialing most likely would have you dial 660-xxx-xxxx but because this is an special ring back number it might allow you to dial 7 digits.

958 use to read back your anac.

xxx-xxx-99xx in the NY area is used for telephone test numbers. xxx-xxx-9970 gives a busy signal and xxx-xxx-9901 reads back the area which the central office is located, switch type and prefixs the co serves in most area codes and prefix in New York. Other things we found in the 99xx exchanges are test tones, loops, modems, annoucement messages.

Hope this helps!

burntkid

Yeah I posted a few 99XX numbers in the numbers thread.(test tones, etc.)

We discussed the whole 660 thing and it's been determined Im on a packet switch, probably the CS-2000 on Pearl st., as such none of the 660s work for me, *53, and *54 are the ringbacks for me.1010 codes also dont work for me, and alot of my dial plan is likely deregulated from those on DMS-100s or 5e's in NY.

Do you remember dialing POP-CORN (7672676) in the NY area 25 years ago by any chance? Was it a known telco number or time number?

BTW, Thank you guys for your input,I know this has taken 9000 turns on different subjects.

Edited by j4rky

I think the time number in New York was in the 637 (MEridian 7) exchange, but I think it was eventually reassigned as a premium 976 number.  I could be wrong.

In Evan Doorbell's tapes (1970's New York/Long Island)time was MEridian 7-something and weather was WEather 6-1212 (936-1212)

In Evan Doorbell's tapes (1970's New York/Long Island)time was MEridian 7-something and weather was WEather 6-1212 (936-1212)

So that clarifies that. I have not even the slightest hunch wtf is going on with 767. Well I guess I found out some things about my switch and another local switch in my area, but exactly what in some instances I don't know. The amount of questions I have is cascading and duplicating lol.

Edited by j4rky

Since we've diverted to T/T numbers momentarily, I figured out that 216-931-1212 (WEather-1-1212) still works.

It's run by the NBC affiliate in the area (WKYC), has ads, the time / temp device is unfamiliar (doesn't sound old, doesn't sound like a Cog device... Actually has two different voices?), and is on a 5ESS If I remember what I read last night correctly.

Since we've diverted to T/T numbers momentarily, I figured out that 216-931-1212 (WEather-1-1212) still works.

It's run by the NBC affiliate in the area (WKYC), has ads, the time / temp device is unfamiliar (doesn't sound old, doesn't sound like a Cog device... Actually has two different voices?), and is on a 5ESS If I remember what I read last night correctly.

Hardware was updated a few years ago, around then they where being pulled.

You guys got me wanting to get back into things..

What irc server/channel everyone hanging around these days?

You guys got me wanting to get back into things..

What irc server/channel everyone hanging around these days?

A lot of what we've been doing has been through the boards here... TP and I are on the BinRev IRC on occasion.

I'm personally going to start peeking at the chat on Bernay's Phone Trips site on occasion as well, see if anyone shows up there ever. Heh.

Another bit of info about my switch to all concerned..

555-XXXX and 910-XXXX when dialed 7 digits do not yield a "Please dial area code and number" error but a CBCAD.. hmm... The questions keep duplicating!

Edited by j4rky

For those of you interested in the Time and Temperature numbers, Shane Young has a list of Time and Temperature numbers:

http://shaneyoung.com/timeandtemp/list/

Also, there are some recordings of Time and Temperature numbers on the Telephone World website:

http://www.phworld.org/sounds/modern/timetemp/

Nice. Are the Audichrons listed still in service?

I think those're all digital ones, but yeah, most of them seem to be in service. This is their current incarnation; http://www.etcia.com

I think those're all digital ones, but yeah, most of them seem to be in service. This is their current incarnation; http://www.etcia.com

The weatherchron one listed there used to be a weatherchron, it sounded awesome. "Granite state telephone always has time for you. The present temperature is 68 degrees. Eastern Time 12:55 and 38 seconds."  now it's something digital, which I hate the voice of.

Ahh, the 419. Used to be there in '95-'96 at Bowling Green.