j3rky

Ringback and Vertical Service Codes (Verizon Brooklyn NY)

48 posts in this topic

On The Bridge St. DS0 (NYCKNYBRDS0) which is a WECO 5ESS (Digital) according to telcodata, 660-(My 7 digit landline #) will give me an alternating (on/off) wierd tone (I will make recordings ASAP), but I have not been able to get it to ringback, 660 + any other number or 660 + the last 4 digits of my landline # will only get an error message. I have tried instantaneously hanging up but 660 does not yield a callback (maybe Im doing it wrong?).

On a separate train of thought I was interested in checking out if there were any interesting unknown vertical service codes (i.e, *67. *69, *72, etc.) I finally arrived upon NANPA's list of vertical service codes (http://www.nanpa.com/number_resource_info/vsc_assignments.html)  and have three "ringback" codes at least on my switch, 2 of which actually callback, none pass any caller ID info.

*53, *54, and *55 are listed as Single Line Variety Package (SVP) - Distinctive Rings (B, C, and D respectively).

*53, and *54 do ring back on my switch, but it is not a normal ring, it is distinctive (will put up recordings ASAP).

Is there any more information on these service codes? It's kind of cool because it's the first "ringback" method that actually worked for me, I havent had any other telco code ringback for me successfully before, and I havent been able to find out too much.

Sorry if this has been posted, I would appreciate any info on the Single Line Variety stuff if anyone knows. Also if anyone has more info on 660 and how to possibly get it to ring back that would be awesome.

Thanks

Edited by j3rky

Does *58 do anything by any chance? I've heard of switches in the northeast responding to that sometimes. I have no idea what any of these do, but in any case, awesome!

The way traditional ringback is supposed to work on a 5ESS is you get a dialtone that alternates to high tone every ten seconds or so. If you flash, you'll get straight high tone. From there, if you hang up, it'll ring you back..

*58 yields a telco error: "The feature you have entered is not available for this service"

660 is something but responsive to anything I do, it is not. Also while it is alternating something about 12(ish?) seconds on and 3(ish?) off, it is a tone and then silence, of the sounds it does make none of these are dialtones, it sounds like a warbled solid frequency almost (The recordings will do it more justice than my rambling).

***UPDATE

Here are some recordings,

660.mp3 has me calling 660 + my 7 digit number two times in a row (the number is modified in the recording). The first time I get the tone which goes on and off which I mentioned before, and the second time I got an error message when I called immediately after.

1153.mp3 and 1154.mp3 has the double and triple ringback that occurs when I dial *53 and *54.

NormalRing.mp3 is the normal ring pattern I get (+ CID data burst) from a regular call, as opposed to the double and triple ring from the ringback codes.

Instead of a second dialtone that I hear about in normal (real) ringbacks like the 660, note that the * codes give a busy signal when you call them.

1154TripleRingback.mp3

1153DoubleRingback.mp3

660.mp3

NormalRing.mp3

Edited by j3rky

Are you using AT&T long distance by any chance? The 660 recording sounds like you're getting one of those 4ESS messages when they break down. What does 660 + your last four give you?

EDIT: For whatever it's worth, area code 660 is assigned.

EDIT (again): The second message on that recording is from a Verizon, ex-Worldcom long distance tandem. Judging by the recording ID (I think all the DMS-250s have three digit IDs before the RDD part), you might be reaching one of the three or so CS-2000s they have installed.

Edited by ThoughtPhreaker

I aksed the operator what my long distance provider is, she said it's verizon. It is a verizon landline, I don't pay the bill over here for the landline, so I'm not certain outside of the op.

660 + the last 4 gives me a message "The number you have dialed cannot be completed". Interesting to note is any  other number, even a local number on the same switch will tell me to "Please dial area code and number" for only dialing 7 digits. If I dial my own number with no areacode I get a busy signal. That means, at least that Im aware of, 660 + last 4, and my own 7 digit number are the only 2 numbers I can dial with no area code and get something different than the standard error("Please dial area code and number"). Sadly 660 + last 4 does not get me a ringback, but that is interesting nonetheless.

Edited by j3rky

I agree with ThoughtPhreaker, the first part of 660.mp3 sounds like a broken 4ESS.  It's possible to get recordings from a 4ESS even if you aren't on AT&T.  I don't believe any of Verizon's 4E toll tandems are still in the network.  Have you tried to get ringback on 113+your last 4?  http://www.binrev.com/forums/index.php/topic/31084-making-a-payphone-ring/?p=260655

Also, have you tried dialing 958?  Last I heard, that would read back your number in your area.

I've tried the 958s and 113s to no avail.

Weird! Is this a FiOS line by any chance? Can you make a recording of a few error messages for us?

Yeah it is FIOS. It used to be telephone only, but I think it's been updated to a package in the last few years. We've had the number since the Bell days.

Edited by j3rky

Ahh, okay, that makes sense. So here's what I think is going on, and what can be done about it:

You probably were served out of the 5ESS via FiOS at one time. Verizon used to provision a lot of them on 5Es. However, Verizon has forced a lot of FiOS customers onto their "Digital Voice" platform. So basically, they stuck you onto a packet switch (probably the Pearl Street CS-2000), and more or less completely deregulated the line. You'll probably notice you can't dial carrier access codes like 101-0288-0 or 950 codes anymore. So you can...

A) Just learn to live with the CS-2000. It basically runs on a port of DMS-100 software on relatively small (and very different) hardware. As you've noticed, it's dialplan is unlike any of the other switches in the New York area. The long distance network you hear is likely going to be non-local switches too; you'll never be able to hear the ex-Bell Atlantic long distance tandems like NY-B and NY-D from this line. That Worldcom tandem you heard for example, is probably somewhere in the midwest.

B ) Raise hell about it without a particularly large effort. Call customer service, and explain that you can't use your competitive long distance service or home security system/satellite TV box/heart rate monitor/whatever other things use modems. They'll very likely tell you to piss off, and that the terms of service say these devices, and carrier access codes won't work. Then, you can file a complaint with the New York PSC and FCC saying you've been forced or misled off your POTS service by Verizon, and onto this new Digital Voice platform that doesn't support the things you want.

Both agencies have heard a lot of complaints like this, and aren't particularly happy with the company about them. Within a couple of weeks, you'll get a call back from their executive offices where they act overly cheery and stumble over themselves trying to do whatever it takes to silence you, and that includes running you POTS service over fiber. Then they'll call you almost every day until you tell them the complaint was resolved.

C) Talk to a CLEC. Assuming Verizon didn't rip the copper out of your house when you ordered FiOS, you can get a resold POTS line from them.

EDIT: Huh, B ) is a smiley without a space between the two.

Another EDIT: So according to that Nortel document in the docs thread, there may be more in common with the DMS and CS-2000 then I thought. There's definitely hardware differences, but I might be talking out of my ass a little here.

Edited by ThoughtPhreaker

You've pretty much described exactly the history of my home phone number beginning around '94 or '95. Unfortunately as much as I would love to MF those MF'ers (pun intended) I am in no position to do so..as such, by necessity I will have to learn to love (or at least live with) my CS-2000, at least for the time being.

Ignorance is bliss, I was just following the 9901 switch messages and trying to get a decent picture of the city's switching system, but I should have known something like what you're describing was going on  :mellow:  ...damn.

Edit**

I also have tried to no end to find a working 1010 carrier access code, and this would explain that as well.

Edited by j3rky

It's me j3rky, Im having some account troubles.

To sum up what I've learned and/or know about my switch on this thread so far:

- I am most likely on a CS-2000

- I can dial 660 + 7 digit number and get a 4ESS in the midwest

- I can 7 digit dial my own phone number

- *53, *54 are the only ringbacks that work for me.

Just to add to the information in the thread about my switch:

- I can dial with pulse

- Today I found out I can call 767-2676 (POP-CORN,formerly the time service) and 767-2677 also. I havent tried any other numbers in the 767-26xx range though. (I included recordings to 267-2676, which was the voicemail box, and 767-2677 which was the angry person on the other end of the line). Anyone know what this is about?

*EDIT Recordings removed, because this is someone;s business or residence.

Edited by j4rky

I just dialed 415-POP-CORN and received the time and temperature from an Asterisk box.  I was not aware that this service was being picked up by anyone, nice.

I just dialed 415-POP-CORN and received the time and temperature from an Asterisk box.  I was not aware that this service was being picked up by anyone, nice.

The thing is I 7 digit dialed POP-CORN and got a VMB, and 7 digit dialed 1 number up and got an angry woman who hung up on me when I tried to ask anything. It's so strange because Im not normally allowed to 7 digit dial anything, it's been 11-digit dialing for about 20 years if I remember correctly, and just recently 10 digits to get any regular numbers, even in the same area.

According to opencnam, assuming it's in my same NPA, I think it's a residence... oops. :o

I guess I can dial certain numbers 7-digit only then. Very odd. Im very confused about the switch I am on, and who I share it in common with (i.e, can just connect via 7 digits).

Edit**

Certain numbers on 767-26XX actually go through with 7 digit dialing, others give the standard "Please dial area code and number" error recording. I don't understand.

Edited by j4rky

Area code 767 is for the country Dominica (not the Dominican Republic).  I wonder if your switch sent you there.  Did the angry woman sound like she was a Spanish speaker?  I hope you didn't get charged international rates for that call.  If you do, you can always fight the charges and say it was the wrong number.

I wonder if your switch handles the first 3 digits differently if it's not an assigned area code in the continental United States.  Let's test that out.  There is no area code 273 but there is an exchange 718-273.  Try dialing 273-9901 and see if you get the North Staten Island verification recording.

Edited by JmanA9

I don't have a lot of time to look into this right now, but there may be something unique about area code 767.  NANPA's listing says 868 is the parent NPA.  I've never noticed that before.  The exchanges in area code 767 seem to be valid in area code 868 from a quick passthrough.  868-767 is a valid exchange in Trinidad & Tobago and I wonder if 767-767 dialed from your switch gets you there.

Area code 767 is for the country Dominica (not the Dominican Republic).  I wonder if your switch sent you there.  Did the angry woman sound like she was a Spanish speaker?  I hope you didn't get charged international rates for that call.  If you do, you can always fight the charges and say it was the wrong number.

I wonder if your switch handles the first 3 digits differently if it's not an assigned area code in the continental United States.  Let's test that out.  There is no area code 273 but there is an exchange 718-273.  Try dialing 273-9901 and see if you get the North Staten Island verification recording.

The one number which I called with no area code, and with my home area code, POP-CORN, was the same VMB.

2688 is another one that answered with a real NY/Long islandey accent, no area code needed, where as 2609 tells me to please dial area code and number. If I call back tommorrow with an area code I bet the same person answers, that will be added my frame of reference, that these are going through my local NPA.

Only certain numbers on 26xx do not require area code. I wonder how many similar wierd number ranges on any local exchanges exist, or if there are any others at all.

**Edit:

767 is not a local exchange.. if you call 718-767-9901 you reach the Bayside DS0 which is in Queens. Why would I be able to dial to a "Queens" exchange with no areacode when I can't even reach people supposedly on my own local switch with no area code? Does this further prove I am on the Pearl St CS-2000 and that they moved the Bayside Fios people's DS0 service to Pearl St. as well, and perhaps all people served out of Pearl St. with the same areacode do not require it? Otherwise I'm at a loss.

Edited by j4rky

I don't have a lot of time to look into this right now, but there may be something unique about area code 767.  NANPA's listing says 868 is the parent NPA.  I've never noticed that before.  The exchanges in area code 767 seem to be valid in area code 868 from a quick passthrough.  868-767 is a valid exchange in Trinidad & Tobago and I wonder if 767-767 dialed from your switch gets you there.

767-767 gets me the standard error: "The number you have dialed is not in service."

I'm pretty sure it's going through the 718NPA because most of the people sound American and somewhat regionally local if not in my borough itself (mostly generic accents).

If I am not mistaken in assuming it is the 718NPA, and if http://www.localcallingguide.com/lprefix.php?exch=136170can be a trusted source of information, I am in rate zone NYC 6, whereas the prefix I can 7 digit dial is in rate zone NYC 9.

Edited by j4rky

I'm pretty sure it's going through the 718NPA because most of the people sound American and somewhat regionally local if not in my borough itself (mostly generic accents).

Yep. 718-767-2676 goes to that same VMB you recorded. I think the switch is just configured to let you dial stuff in your home NPA as seven digits. The reason for them doing that is probably because they wanted to make one configuration for all their FiOS switches, and modify them as little as possible.

Does this further prove I am on the Pearl St CS-2000 and that they moved the Bayside Fios people's DS0 service to Pearl St. as well, and perhaps all people served out of Pearl St. with the same areacode do not require it?

It shouldn't matter whether or not they're ported. What's probably going on is they probably don't have to answer to local regulations since digital voice legally isn't phone service, so they just tossed a flexible dialplan in there. There was a blip of permanent signal recording in one of your attachments, though. That definitely wasn't coming from a 5ESS. As a general rule, most Bell System 5Es will sound a little like this recording. 5E_impression.zip

There's some better sounding announcement machines out there - 503-632-1064 is an example of one of them, but the RBOCs seem to like the 13/15As.

Yep. 718-767-2676 goes to that same VMB you recorded. I think the switch is just configured to let you dial stuff in your home NPA as seven digits. The reason for them doing that is probably because they wanted to make one configuration for all their FiOS switches, and modify them as little as possible.

I normally cannot dial anything with 7 digits, This includes numbers in my neighborhood of people who have had their numbers since the Nynex or Bell Atlantic days (as I have), and who's exchanges are/were served on the same switch. As someone in downtown Brooklyn, the only people (that I know of) I can dial 7 digits to reach are in Bayside,Queens (Supposedly if I am to believe the 767-9901 message). Any idea why this would be the case?

telcodata supports that 718-767 is in bayside https://www.telcodata.us/view-switch-detail-by-clli?clli=NYCQNYBADS0

It shouldn't matter whether or not they're ported. What's probably going on is they probably don't have to answer to local regulations since digital voice legally isn't phone service, so they just tossed a flexible dialplan in there. There was a blip of permanent signal recording in one of your attachments, though. That definitely wasn't coming from a 5ESS. As a general rule, most Bell System 5Es will sound a little like this recording. attachicon.gif5E_impression.zip

There's some better sounding announcement machines out there - 503-632-1064 is an example of one of them, but the RBOCs seem to like the 13/15As.

Yeah I remember that, It used to be really loud when you dialed the wrong number of digits. Everything seems to be different now, landline service was certainly more gritty back in the day..

Edited by j4rky

Yeah I remember that, It used to be really loud when you dialed the wrong number of digits. Everything seems to be different now, landline service was certainly more gritty back in the day..

You say that like nobody can get a new line from that 5E anymore :) . I know what you mean, though. There's a lot of announcement machines that're really clean, and come with stock prompts that're rarely replaced to boot. But the (E)DRAM cards on DMS-100s have always been like that; 718-601-9901.

I normally cannot dial anything with 7 digits, This includes numbers in my neighborhood of people who have had their numbers since the Nynex or Bell Atlantic days (as I have), and who's exchanges are/were served on the same switch. As someone in downtown Brooklyn, the only people (that I know of) I can dial 7 digits to reach are in Bayside,Queens (Supposedly if I am to believe the 767-9901 message). Any idea why this would be the case?

I'm a little stumped on this myself. Can you give us a few examples of exchanges that aren't working? For that matter, will any CLEC exchanges work? Like, 718-943-9999 for example?

I'm a little stumped on this myself. Can you give us a few examples of exchanges that aren't working? For that matter, will any CLEC exchanges work? Like, 718-943-9999 for example?

I tried 943-9999 and it says "Please dial area code and number" as it would with most numbers in 718, The only numbers that I know of which I can dial 7 digits and get a different result is my own home number with no area code which results in busy signal, and certain numbers on 767-26XX. Really strange. Im definitely not supposed to have 7 digit dialing even locally, and it's been this way for a loooong time.

BTW,Even numbers on my own exchange cannot be dialed without an area code.

Edit:

Even though I am on a packet switch now and verizon can probably do whatever they want, in general,  for the most part,

they follow the dial plan here, aside from the fact that 10 digit dialing to any NPA is allowed from my line.

search 718 on http://nanpa.com/enas/area_code_query.do

Though I guess the 10 digit dialing to any NPA is already a deviation? So who knows what else?

Edited by j4rky

As for the 660 odd behavior maybe I reached some wierd number for Mid-Missouri Telephone

https://www.telcodata.us/search-area-code-exchange-detail?npa=660&exchange=

Before I look like a double jackass for trying 660 + my 7 digits to see if it rangback I reference this file (That's why I gave it a try):

http://www.oldskoolphreak.com/tfiles/phreak/ex_scan.txt"660+ your 7-digit phone number is theringback."
This is wierd information, because the textfile was written in August 7th, 2003, but according to a search on 660 in http://nanpa.com/enas/npa_query.do the NPA was in service since 1997.
Edited by j4rky

Maybe 767 is/was assigned for some special purpose? A friend of mine tried 767-9901 from a CLEC office in Manhattan, and it worked on only seven digits. It went to 212-767 in this case, of course.

well 767 does = 'POP' the first 3 digits of POP-CORN (what used to be the time service on AT&T if Im not mistaken). That was the whole reason I decided to call it in the first place. Can your friend 7 digit dial anywhere else in Manhattan?

Edited by j4rky