d3crypt

Some numbers (new)

393 posts in this topic

I'm sorry but the exchange for 620-397 and 620-398 is now a DMS100.

There are still step by steps in operation? It's amazing if that's the case. How old must they be by now?

Looks like it *might* (with extra stress on the "*might*") not be the only one either -- open up https://www.telcodata.us/search-switches-by-switch-type?type=WECO then scroll down to near the bottom following the huge block of 5ESSes. Also pay attention to the section between the 1As and 5Es. There may or may not still be a #355A CDO in place at a uranium mining district somewhere in the middle of Wyoming, whether or not it's operational is open for debate.

Though chances are if that's as up to date as the original 1AESS list I compiled from that same database is, I wouldn't get my hopes up too high. Even still, I wonder if Evan lurks here....

Phone trip, anybody?

EDIT ADD: Nothing resembling a step appears on http://afiler.com/switches/ either, unless they're buried in there somewhere and I'm overlooking it.

EDIT EDIT: Spoke too soon -- http://afiler.com/switches/lucent/

SBHBNFXNSG1 (709-657, eh?)

Looks like there may also still be a few XYs around: http://afiler.com/switches/siemens/

ACCYTXXARS0

FATHSDXA967

ELNRINXARS0

DNNLMNXD695

MIVLMNXMRS8

ANDSNYXA676

SLWYMNXSRS4

GOLDOKXARS0

BLUMTXXARS0

MDWYALXARS0

PROTALXARS0

DYBKWVXA798

Don't show up in Telcodata:

NRCKOHXA39A

IDRACAXF693

PNCLCAXF389

Hmm.

IDRACAXF693
PNCLCAXF389

Pinnacles and Idria are Redcom switches. I've posted this before, but there's some interesting stuff on there; 831-389-4504. Idria is literally a ghost town too. They even enabled that really weird sounding integrated AIS, where the woman sounds...I dunno, maybe like she's in a trance or something. I guess that's one way to skip out on your voiceover bill.

Here's a loop line on Pinnacles: 831-389-9108/9109. And a supe test: 831-389-9103.

What is "power ring"? I been meaning to ask you this.

Sorry about not answering this. Heh.

So, the best way I can describe "power ring" is the audible equivalent of the electrical signal the phone company would send down your line to make your ringer go off when a call came in. Audibly, it sounds most like a 60Hz square wave. Iknow that's not it, but it's a "best fit" to my ear.

I know Evan Doorbell has a recording out there that one of the calls has power ring and regular ring in the same placed call. If I find it, I'll link it.

Looks like it *might* (with extra stress on the "*might*") not be the only one either

I saw a bunch of those on Telcodata as well, but passed them by as they didn't have exchanges listed, meaning (to me at least) they'd be inaccessible from the outside. Maybe I'm wrong?

Also saw some Canadian switches listed... Didn't look at those.

Here's a loop line on Pinnacles: 831-389-9108/9109

Hmm, I wonder if 9108/9 is the standard arrangement for loops on Redcom machines? Wawina (MDX384) has a loop on those extensions as well. Should look up some others some night and try that pair on them.

So, the best way I can describe "power ring" is the audible equivalent of the electrical signal the phone company would send down your line to make your ringer go off when a call came in.

Yep, basically attenuated ringing voltage being sent in the reverse direction. Or in this age of T-carrier and packet networks, a binary representation of the sound of attenuated ringing voltage being sent in the reverse direction.

(I thought the standard was 20 Hz?)

ORCHWA01 also still has its old "city ring" machine in use, with the original superimposed ringback sound from the crosssbar days. Mistman the Magnificent has a recording of it in action on 360-25x that you can hear on http://mistman.pdp10.org/pub/phone/audio/5xrng_5e.7z observed through an inter box (since it is 5E you don't hear it going in the reverse direction, only the PTP ringback). I have also observed it on my 72x and 88x lines in that same office. If it still works why dump it?

Here's a loop line on Pinnacles: 831-389-9108/9109

Hmm, I wonder if 9108/9 is the standard arrangement for loops on Redcom machines? Wawina (MDX384) has a loop on those extensions as well. Should look up some others some night and try that pair on them.

So, the best way I can describe "power ring" is the audible equivalent of the electrical signal the phone company would send down your line to make your ringer go off when a call came in.

Yep, basically attenuated ringing voltage being sent in the reverse direction. Or in this age of T-carrier and packet networks, a binary representation of the sound of attenuated ringing voltage being sent in the reverse direction.

(I thought the standard was 20 Hz?)

ORCHWA01 also still has its old "city ring" machine in use, with the original superimposed ringback sound from the crosssbar days. Mistman the Magnificent has a recording of it in action on 360-25x that you can hear on http://mistman.pdp10.org/pub/phone/audio/5xrng_5e.7z observed through an inter box (since it is 5E you don't hear it going in the reverse direction, only the PTP ringback). I have also observed it on my 72x and 88x lines in that same office. If it still works why dump it?

They still have an old city ring machine still in service? How old would something like that be?

supposedly at 19:25 a power ring is heard here

(going by a comment someone left, I have no idea if it's accurate) but it sounds different from the recording from mist man.

mist man's recording almost sounds similar to my home phone line on an incoming call with the phone on the hook, lol I was almost expecting to hear the CID burst after the first ring. Did it sound this way originally or is this due to all the use over the years?

What is "power ring"? I been meaning to ask you this.

Sorry about not answering this. Heh.

So, the best way I can describe "power ring" is the audible equivalent of the electrical signal the phone company would send down your line to make your ringer go off when a call came in. Audibly, it sounds most like a 60Hz square wave. Iknow that's not it, but it's a "best fit" to my ear.

I know Evan Doorbell has a recording out there that one of the calls has power ring and regular ring in the same placed call. If I find it, I'll link it.

No problem, Thanks for getting back to me. Is the recording you were talking about the one I linked to? It was the only thing I could dig up.

They still have an old city ring machine still in service? How old would something like that be?

Don't know. Offhand I'd say it's probably at least as old as the current office (concrete tilt-up), which was built around the time "Sgt. Pepper's" was just becoming a hit.

If I remember right, dial service became available out of Orchards right after World War 2 so I'd guess it's probably from between approximately 1945 and 1970. Though it might even be newer than that.

I was almost expecting to hear the CID burst after the first ring.

He doesn't have that. If he did he probably would have muted it (don't think he wants his other phone number getting out onto the network.)

Did it sound this way originally or is this due to all the use over the years?

I very vaguely remember it having a similar tone originally, though a lot harsher (probably off this same unit for all I know). For the most part all I've ever heard from this office is the current ESS ringback, since I moved to the area at the very end of the crossbar/206 era (early 90s).

He doesn't have that. If he did he probably would have muted it

Why not just send a privacy bit then? :) Anyway, one thing that's interesting about that recording is most of the Portland ESS offices have this weird whiny power supply noise whenever they spit out ring or coin voltages. I'm not hearing it here, though.

So I've been on kind of an Iowa kick this month! Stuff out there can be kind of a challenge to find, but it's well worth it when you do.

712-744-9999 - ANAC (AP)

712-744-4000/4001 - Conference system! If you sit there and don't enter a PIN it'll...ring out? :huh:

712-744-3000-3099 - This whole hundred block just pauses for a few seconds, and then lets out an eeiry hum. I'm guessing it's just an old DID block The Phone Company forgot about

319-437-0027 - Thingie, picks up with 11 in DTMF

660-673-9000 - So I've given this out in other places, but I thought I might as well make it official. rec, "You need a carrier PIC to complete this call. Please dial 811 8 AM to 5 PM Monday through Friday for assistance."

Anyway, one thing that's interesting about that recording is most of the Portland ESS offices have this weird whiny power supply noise whenever they spit out ring or coin voltages. I'm not hearing it here, though.

That's because things are just better on the north side of the Columbia. <g>

About 15 years ago when I last observed it, VANCWA01DS0 did have a sort-of high pitch oscillation on its ringout, kind of like the power supply noise you hear on some of Evan's panel and crossbar tapes from New York (observed on a 360-696 line). I wouldn't be surprised if they were still using the same mid-40s era power system over there that they had as a step office. Because ORCHWA01 is a newer office their power system is probably more modern tighter filtered so it doesn't make as much of itself.

Though if you run it through Audacity and amplify the quiet spaces between rings you may hear something, though the last I tried it I only heard white noise and the same 60-cycle harmonics you'd hear when the line is idle. (Like on the beginning and end of the recording.)

Here's some cool numbers that I remember from back in the day which still work. A lot of them are probably well known, but at the least they may be useful to noobs like myself?

419-475-9894  - Some scratchy noise

419-225-9895  - Echoey, distant "number is not in service"

206-424-8422  -  Phone Losers of America Telephone Network Interface. Can link you to some answering machines for hacking, provides a conference line, theres an incomplete adventure game, and you can access some gag features with A, B, C and D.

909-390-0003  -  Cool echo line

914-737-9938  -  CPTA Announcement recorded by a guy who couldn't give a f***

202-965-9907  -  "You have just deactivated this feature"

206-343-0011  -  "This call requires a coin deposit..."

605-475-6967 - Joke Psychiatric Hotline

Not sure if this was helpful or worthless....I tried!

A few numbers from my travels..

330-868-9970 payphone directly in front of frontier co GT5.

888-608-8028 ,1 Frontier Business

877-462-8188 Frontier Repair

800-460-4211 Frontier Refund

920-685-0010/0011 - DMS-10 loop

216-921-9920 - "You have reached a non-working number at Ameritech Ohio. Please consult your directory and dial again. This is a recording."

800-877-4389 - Frontier VMS, Mitel Nupoint system?

419-772-3073 Elevator

... but there's some interesting stuff on there; 831-389-4504.

So I decided to dial this one up to try out the Google Hangout Dialer functionality. Works pretty well, as I can hear the messages well, with only a slight cutoff at the beginning because of the goofy Google ring.

I also decided to test out the dialpad functionality, and tapped out a quick 0...

Lo and behold, it worked. Aaaaand, I got a very interesting menu (some sort of programming). Definitely an alarm system of some sort.

but there's some interesting stuff on there; 831-389-4504

I love that voice. There's some machine or other (think it's a door alarm monitor at a hospital or old folks' home) somewhere in my area (maybe Portland) on 451 MHz that has a similar mechanical sounding female voice. Might even be the same type/brand of speech module.

419-475-9894 - Some scratchy noise

I think that's one of those AT&T model 105 (?) test units. They play weird noises and beeps (packet data bursts?) when you feed it DTMF. Anybody know what those do if you throw A/B/C/D at them?

832-999-1717 MRN (Motor Racing Network) AudioNow NASCAR radio feed. Go Rowdy!!

888-345-8672 - TDS Metrocom IVR. This is set up to call the remote call forwarding numbers on all their CLEC switches in the midwest. They all seem to be EWSDs with a couple different kinds of AISes.The IVR that connects you to them is on a Metaswitch.

EDIT: Hmm! It'll reject the call if you give it an ANI fail, that's not very nice. I wonder if their whole long distance network does this.

866-764-3835, 9, 8, SOGETEL2 in the name directory, option 3 - This is a door phone at Sogetel's Warwick, QC central office. This is the company that runs the Nantes switch now.

Edited by ThoughtPhreaker

Damn what a post! Those are some cool numbers. How do you find them? Wardialing?

Here's some random stuff:

800-877-1645 - Weird IVR

412-223-0000 - rec, "This file is reserved for Core Tel internal use. Thank you."

770-528-0010 - rec, "We're sorry, storm damage in this area has blocked your call. Emergency calls may be placed through your operator."

770-528-0028 - rec, "We're sorry, touch-star service cannot be used to call this number, trace this number, or enter this number on your list."

541-384-0126 - Ringout to VMB, "This is the TDS Telecom Condon, Oregon Calnet line. Please leave a message."

775-825-0036 - Thingie on POTS line w/weirdly edited together Pat Fleet prompt, "Enter access code"

206-367-0020 - rec, "You have reached the Emerson 5ESS office. The CLLI is STTLWA04DS0."

866-826-4867, extension 6904 - Room monitor at a college with a strange Ericsson PBX. Some nights, you'll hear music and drunk people nearby.

845-425-9929 - rec, "You are calling a number on your partyline. Please hang up and wait for the phone to stop ringing. Then pick up and your party will be there."

603-296-9120 - Phrase administration IVR (ETC Digicept or similar AIS)

If I recall correctly, this one also supes.

I think the only bridge I've ever heard not supe was a loop on a DMS-10 in Iowa. Unfortunately, it was also limited to thirty second or so before it'd mute you. I'll see if I can dig it up sometime.

EDIT: The Metaswitch voicemail for the TDS Calnet thingie was replaced by an Innovative Systems AP for some reason, and currently has no greeting. So to make up for that, 541-384-0101 is one of those weird EWSD milliwatts that accepts DTMF when the tone goes away.

For 541-384-0126 the password is 1234?

503-632-0101 - On the off chance that someone is mad about me for acknowledging that Fishies is, well, Fishies, here's another conf. This one seems to be made up of some kind of analog hardware

Oh, that's nice. There was nobody on (called around 0030) so I had to park on it for a few minutes just to hear the analogue carrier (?) white noise. Pretty close to home, too, 503-632 is only 20 minutes or so down I-205 from me.

Sounds like there's also a radio station very faintly bleeding into it. Mmmmmmight be KEX, but I also live not very far from the KPAM tower yard so it may have been that bleeding into my line (but it usually doesn't).

503-632-0101 Some folks are on now. They noticed me so I hung up.

800-437-9606

Very bizarre ringing tone (Japanese, maybe?) followed by solid tone... Foreign milliwatt equivalent?

Very nice! I have no idea what that is (I'm guessing a Japanese switch), but it accepts DTMF.

I was going to post a Peruvian milliwatt here to illustrate that they sound the same everywhere, but I'm having trouble finding one. If you happen to want to scan Peru, you may have some luck finding milliwatts on -1000, though.

For the meantime, a Sensaphone! I seriously do have a limited number of these, I dunno where they keep coming from :) .

701-475-0005

using https://ebiznet.att.com/testline/ I think I might have found loop numbers. not sure since I've not had a chance to test them yet. I will update this if It proves a success. Nope just goes to busy...

Looks like test numbers to test copper loops of some sort.

712-744-3000-3099 - This whole hundred block just pauses for a few seconds, and then lets out an eeiry hum. I'm guessing it's just an old DID block The Phone Company forgot about

3100 = fax machine?